Community discussions

MikroTik App

Quokka
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ax² refuses to be turned into a wireless access point / DHCP client

Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:42 pm

Hi forum,

For the last week and a half I have fruitlessly been trying to turn my MikroTik hAP ax² into what I want it to be: a wireless access point that acts as a DHCP client for my VPN router. The latter assigns static IP addresses to every network device that is part of my LAN, and hence also to the MikroTik (for a schematic representation of my use case, please see the diagram below). The same should happen when my laptop and mobile phone connect to the MikroTik’s WiFi network. Laptop and mobile phone need to be able to reach the Internet, and in addition, it is necessary that the latter can also communicate with devices in my LAN.

Although I must have restarted the MikroTik more than fifty times – the result of just as many failed attempts to configure it in Webfig- I am not getting any closer, and this is becoming demoralising. I am taking full responsibility, but it is, however, not as if I haven’t been trying to catch up with advice provided on this forum (with viewtopic.php?t=182373 as the starting point). Whatever I try though, and whatever advise I follow, I cannot make it work.

What I have been led to believe is necessary as a first step - disabling the DHCP server and its associated IP address pool- is all well and fine, as I at least keep my connection with the Internet and with Webfig. It’s the next steps, in whatever order I carry them out, where things go wrong. Either assigning the IP address the MikroTik receives from the VPN router (10.220.0.31) to its bridge interface, adding ‘ether1’ to the bridge interface, or (via ‘IP’ > ‘DHCP Server’) deleting the existing network under the ‘Networks’ tab, instantaneously results in a lost connection with the Internet or Webfig, or both.

It is obviously me who doesn’t understand the logic behind all this, as I am simply lacking knowledge in this field. However, getting an IP address from the VPN router is important for both the laptop and the mobile phone - especially in case of the latter, because unless it does, apps that are installed on it won’t be able so connect with server applications on my network devices. As I am really at wits end, any advice you may be able to provide me with that helps me to get any further, starting from the configuration as attached below, will be greatly and warmly appreciated. Many thanks for your time and ideas!

smw_config.cfg.rsc

Thuisnetwerk - MikroTik 04112022.png

MikroTik internet - LAN panel.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ax² refuses to be turned into a wireless access point / DHCP client

Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:07 am

First of all being a new user you probably tried to bite off more than you could chew.
Best to start off with basics and then add the requirements one by one..........

Also your description doesnt even match your words.
You state that the hapac is to be an access point and then you state it need to provide DHCP which is a router function, yes you appear to be confused.
Then in the diagram you have the VPN router before the hapac where it seemed the hapac was before the vpn router in your verbiage.

So lets be clear.

a. the hapac should be nothing more than an access point/switch
b. your best bet is to go into quickset and select wisp mode ( not dual home ap etc.) and then simply follow the example config here from the link you used.
viewtopic.php?t=182276

Two things here, first, if you have a spare port then suggest you take that port off the bridge and do your config from here, safer!!
viewtopic.php?t=181718

The other thing is that the router should get its IP address from the trusted subnet. In this case the hapac is just another device in a LAN which is controlled by the VPN server, just ensure regardless of the wired and wireless clients that the hapac wiill get (normally multiple vlans of data) that one of them is the trusted subnet.