Community discussions

MikroTik App

edvpi
just joined
Topic Author

Which is the best LTE upgrade option

Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:58 pm

Hey Guys,

Recently my LTE connection has gotten pretty bad, in the evenings from 18.00 - 23.00 I am getting only 3-7mbps download speed. I currently own LHG LTE6 kit, which is mounted on the roof, the signal is good RSRP -68dBm, RSRQ -10db, SINR 13-16dB using CA B3+B7.There is only 1 available tower about 1.5km away, which is a real bummer because there are more than 100 houses using it. (I might be wrong, but I don't see any other network options in this area). In the mornings or during the day I am able to get at least 30mbps download. Upload is never an issue, I am always getting at least 25mbps.
I just bought a new phone S21 FE and have done speed tests every evening and usually I'm getting 8-14mbps, which is almost 2x more than LHG. After downloading network monitoring app I found out that the phone uses 3 or 4 bands B1+B3+B7+B20 or B3+B7+B20 which might be the reason it is getting better speeds, since the lte6 modem can do only 2band CA.

I'm looking to upgrade my current home LTE setup, but I am not sure which is the best bang for the buck option. I have read that upgrading LHG with Quectel EM12G modem allows B3+B7+B20 CA, but looking at other posts it looks like combining 3 bands requires 4x4MIMO which is not possible, since the LHG only supports 2x2MIMO. Another option is buying ATL LTE18, which costs twice as much, but supports 4x4MIMO and has LTE18 modem. And then there are other options - buying other modems, buying Cheteau LTE12 and so on.

So which is the best option for me for the lowest price? I really don't want to spend more than 200EUR, upgrade to Quectel EM12 costs around 150EUR(shipping and adapters included), buying ATL LTE18 costs around 290EUR, or are there other better options?

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Which is the best LTE upgrade option

Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:10 pm

I can confirm it is possible to have 3CA with 2x2 MIMO using a EM12-G in a LHG.