MikroTik App

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

cAP ac bricked after update

Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:40 am

Hi all,
I see that there were already posts with this title, but I didn't find a solution to the problem anywhere, so I'm asking again.
The problem started with the first updates from version 6 of ROS to version 7.
After downloading the new version and resetting, none of the cAPs woke up anymore. Apart from lit LEDs, they did not give any other sign of life. Fortunately, NetInstall helped every last one of them.
I thought the problem was related to some significant changes to ROS V7 and although annoyed, I didn't give it any importance. Today I wanted to update two cAPs from 7.1.5 to the current version and the situation is repeating itself!!!!
It is a new practice to update devices exclusively with NetInstall, some serious bug in ROS for arm, or am I doing something wrong??
I would like to mention that on V6 ROS, I did about fifteen updates on each of the devices and this never happened.

Greetings

zett93

Re: cAP ac bricked after update

Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:30 pm

Hi,

this may not be the answer to your problem, but I wanted to write that I recently did some updates to my cAPs. I'm doing the update via winbox and here's a question, which update channel do you choose?

Another thing, see before updating if the firmware version is the same as the RouterOS version (/system routerboard print).

Currently, my cAPs are running RouterOS 7.6 (stable channel) without the slightest problem. Previously, when upgrading from 6.46 to 7.1 beta3 (from development channel), I had no problems either.

I do it like this:
/system/check-installation
if is ok
System upgrade and reboot
after reboot --> System -> routerboard -> upgrade firmware -> reboot
You always want the same version of routerOS and firmware

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:05 pm

When you still are in the installation phase (not having an existing complex configuration and a desire to keep things running), I would always advise to use netinstall to install 7.6 and reset the device to defaults, rather than using upgrade to go from v6 to v7 and convert the existing config.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:33 pm

Exactly the same advice here. Couldn't have said it better.

<which reminds me I also have a cAP AC which needs some Netinstall-love to clear the upgrade-cobwebs ...>

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:11 pm

When you still are in the installation phase (not having an existing complex configuration and a desire to keep things running), I would always advise to use netinstall to install 7.6 and reset the device to defaults, rather than using upgrade to go from v6 to v7 and convert the existing config.
Hi,
As I said it happened when upgrading from 6 to 7 (never before, not from 2 to 3 or from 3 to 4....) and it is silly to make upgrade to major version with netinstall... It means that you have to dismount a number of devices from strange places so you can do it on the table..
nevertheless I had to do it... case closed!
But now it is happening with minor upgrades (7.5 to 7.6) so thank you for advice but it is unacceptable for anything larger than 2 AP's.
Don't you think so?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:14 pm

You are right, it should work better, but unfortunately at the moment there are these issues.
If you are really affected by it, don't hesitate to make a support ticket in the support system.
Discussing it here is not very useful - we know it is a problem and the MikroTik staff who read here probably know it as well, but it will not get any priority.
And remember: at this time there is no need to upgrade a working v6 AP install (without any advanced features) to v7, it is a waste of time and effort.
By the time there is an advantage for v7, they probably have fixed the upgrade procedure.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:16 pm

You are right, it should work better, but unfortunately at the moment there are these issues.
If you are really affected by it, don't hesitate to make a support ticket in the support system.
Discussing it here is not very useful - we know it is a problem and the MikroTik staff who read here probably know it as well, but it will not get any priority.
I would argue, that submitting support tickets, can be absolutely useless.

I have quite the stack of them for WiFI issues that have never been fixed.

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:26 pm

Hi,

this may not be the answer to your problem, but I wanted to write that I recently did some updates to my cAPs. I'm doing the update via winbox and here's a question, which update channel do you choose?

Another thing, see before updating if the firmware version is the same as the RouterOS version (/system routerboard print).
Hi,
I always use stable version, regularly update firmware an all the other things you have mentioned...
I am taking care of cca 50 devices and another strange thing is that it only happens on cAP ac ?!?

with info, I have about the case, I would say that there is a problem with arm version of ROS, but still, I cannot be sure so I am asking if someone had a similar situation and what was the solution...

regards

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:30 pm

And remember: at this time there is no need to upgrade a working v6 AP install (without any advanced features) to v7, it is a waste of time and effort.
By the time there is an advantage for v7, they probably have fixed the upgrade procedure.
I cannot imagine that I am first and one and only user with described problem so I rather ask here just see if I am alone ant eventually to cry on someones shoulder...
:-)

thanks

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:15 pm

Yes, I have read it before and also my own personal experience is that a v6->v7 upgrade is often a bumpy road.
Even when it appears to work at first, there will be strange problems that can only be solved by doing an export of the config, then netinstall, and import of the same config.
So when you know in advance that this will be required, it is better to do it this way from the beginning.