MikroTik App

Zoolander06
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Multiple PPPoE clients stopped working simultaneously

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:43 pm

Hello all !

I have a weird issue : on different Mikrotik routers, the PPPoE connection has stopped working at the exact same time.
Of course there is a common point between all of these routers : it's the same FAI (Orange, french FAI) and the same type of connection (VDSL).
The problem is obviously related to the FAI having done some modification, but, if I try to establish the PPPoE session from a PC, or from another router, it works without issue !
I made a packet capture on the ethernet interface, and I can only see PADI frames being send by the router, no response from the modem.
Does someone know what could cause this issue in RouterOS ?

Thanks,

Joris

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Multiple PPPoE clients stopped working simultaneously

Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:53 pm

PADI is sent by the client, so if the server does not respond, it means it doesn't like the contents (or source) of the PADI.

Since you say the client on Windows works, you have to sniff on the Windows as well (or on a Mikrotik in bridge mode through which the Windows connect) and compare the contents of the PADI sent by Windows and PADI sent by RouterOS - maybe the server only responds if you specify the required service name?

Zoolander06
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Multiple PPPoE clients stopped working simultaneously

Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:31 pm

Thank you for answering Sindy.

I did what you said, and there just one difference : the payload is 8 bytes longer on my PC than on the router.
It seems that the "host-uniq" tag is the one which is longer.

One other thing : I still have one mikrotik router with working pppoe interface for a vdsl link, it's in version 6.47.9 where the non functionning ones are in 6.48.5 or 6, so I'll try to downgrade one and see what happens.

Joris