Community discussions

MikroTik App

maxxsp
just joined
Topic Author

Configure 2 separate networks on single routerboard

Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:54 am

Hi guys,

Trying to configure 2 separate WANSs and LANs on my routerboard but failing miserably. I am using the RB3011UiAS-RM routerboard.
My use case is a home network and separate home office network, each with it's own ISP subscription. I do not need communication between LANs.

I wish to separate ether1-5 and ether 6-10 into 2 separate networks with traffic from ether2-5 using WAN1 and ether7-10 using WAN2

ether1 - WAN1
ether2-5 - LAN1 (192.168.0.x)

ether6 - WAN2
ether7-10 - LAN2 (192.168.1.x)

Hope someone can point me in the right direction as I have tried numerous setups but have failed to achieve what I need.
I tried creating 2 bridges, one for ether1-5 and another for ether 6-10 but unable to force computers from LAN1 to use WAN1 exclusively.

Looking for the easiest way to achieve this as my routerboard model has 2 separate hardware switches. Is it possible to achieve what I want without messing with VLANS and such?

Thanks in advance!

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Configure 2 separate networks on single routerboard

Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:32 pm

Hello Max!!

You wont need to create vlans if you have enought interfaces.
I think you cannot manage this with bridges including WAN interfaces because LAN and WAN has different settings
I think we will need to use mangle rules
This is my suggestion:
* A bridge between ether2 and ether5 with an IP on this bridge
* Another bridge between ether7 and ether10 with an IP on this another bridge (In another net segment)
* Maybe a DHCP server on each bridge if you want
* Configure both WANs with they IP addresses and make sure to add a default rute if these IP addresses are static
* Follow the PCC Manual, but changing the following https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC:
Change this:
add chain=prerouting  in-interface=LAN connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local \
    per-connection-classifier=both-addresses:2/0 action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ISP1_conn 
add chain=prerouting  in-interface=LAN connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local \ 
    per-connection-classifier=both-addresses:2/1 action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ISP2_conn
To something like this:
add chain=prerouting in-interface=bridge1 connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local \
action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ISP1_conn
add chain=prerouting in-interface=bridge2 connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local \
action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ISP2_conn
With this, instead of doing PCC, you will use a different WAN for a different bridge
If you never created mangle rules, take care, do not leave details
Regards,
Damián

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:17 pm

Hello Max!!

I think you cannot manage this with bridges including WAN interfaces because LAN and WAN has different settings
This is my suggestion:
* Another bridge between ether7 and ether10 with an IP on this another bridge (In another net segment)
* Configure both WANs with they IP addresses and make sure to add a default rute if these IP addresses are static
---->
Maybe I am missing something here but,
----> After setting this up, can the WAN part be achieved by adding two basic NAT rules.
Something like:
Bridge-LAN1 (or src subnet 1)-> output interface Ether1 (WAN1)
Bridge-LAN2 (or src subnet 2) -> output interface Ether6 (WAN2)

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:11 pm

Hello Broderick!
I dont think so, I think you will change the source IP but this does not force the route to going out, just changing the IP where it can go back. Just my thinking, I did not test this.

Regards,
Damián

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:50 pm

After setting this up, can the WAN part be achieved by adding two basic NAT rules.
Even one general NAT rule for the WAN interface list will do (it's in the default config already) . The IP address used will be that of the WAN interface anyway

The default route for the 2 LAN's (with their own network IP range) will be different. One bridge with DHCP server per LAN.
(Which WAN to use could be based on LAN src IP address, or just could be delivered as default gateway by the DHCP server of that LAN)
Routing setup in ROS V6 could be something like this screenshot for each LAN. ROS V7 has some other ways of indicating the WAN interface, besides IP address of the gateway.
Klembord-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:54 pm

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:01 pm

Hello Broderick!
I dont think so, I think you will change the source IP but this does not force the route to going out, just changing the IP where it can go back. Just my thinking, I did not test this.

Regards,
Damián

yes, I think you're right.
It occurred to me that I too had set these settings to force traffic from two different LANs going out through two different WANs

mangles rules:
chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=MainLan src-address=192.168.3.0/24 log=no log-prefix=
chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=GuestLan src-address=10.10.10.0/24 log=no log-prefix=

route rules:
  dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=1.1.1.1 gateway-status=1.1.1.1 recursive via xxx.xx.x.xx ether5_WAN2 distance=2 scope=30 target-scope=10 routing-mark=MainLan 
  dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=8.8.8.8 gateway-status=8.8.8.8 recursive via xxx.xxx.xx.xx wlan1_WAN1 distance=1 scope=30 target-scope=10 routing-mark=GuestLan

my last two route rules above are set for failover as well.

I keep forgetting things. I probably need to spend more time tinkering on my mk device to drill computer networking concepts into my head.
:)

maxxsp
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 am

Hello Max!!

This is my suggestion:
* Follow the PCC Manual, but changing the following https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC:
Change this:
    per-connection-classifier=both-addresses:2/0 action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ISP1_conn 
    per-connection-classifier=both-addresses:2/1 action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ISP2_conn
To something like this:
add chain=prerouting in-interface=bridge1 connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local \
action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ISP1_conn
add chain=prerouting in-interface=bridge2 connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local \
action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ISP2_conn
With this, instead of doing PCC, you will use a different WAN for a different bridge
If you never created mangle rules, take care, do not leave details
Regards,
Damián
Hi Damián, thank you for your reply.
I did try to use a similar method like you posted but got stuck on the last part. I assume your PCC config is mangle rules?

What do you mean by this part? my WAN IP addresses are randomly assigned by the ISP (PPPOE connection)

After setting this up, can the WAN part be achieved by adding two basic NAT rules.
Even one general NAT rule for the WAN interface list will do (it's in the default config already) . The IP address used will be that of the WAN interface anyway

The default route for the 2 LAN's (with their own network IP range) will be different. One bridge with DHCP server per LAN.
(Which WAN to use could be based on LAN src IP address, or just could be delivered as default gateway by the DHCP server of that LAN)
Routing setup in ROS V6 could be something like this screenshot for each LAN. ROS V7 has some other ways of indicating the WAN interface, besides IP address of the gateway.
Klembord-2.jpg
Do I still need to use the PCC configuration in Damiáns guide if I use the method in your screenshot?

Hi Sindy, for the VRF method you linked, what is the command/setting to achieve this in my use case?
Because I have multiple lan ports in a bridge (Ether2-5) to use wan (Ether1)

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:58 pm

for the VRF method you linked, what is the command/setting to achieve this in my use case?
Because I have multiple lan ports in a bridge (Ether2-5) to use wan (Ether1)
In this case, the IP stack doesn't know anything about ether2 to ether5, it only knows about the bridge one. So you need to place just ether1 and bridge to the same VRF.

/ip route vrf add routing-mark=my-vrf interfaces=ether1,bridge

Unless you have a configured and tested serial access to your router, before changing configuration, always save a backup to the non-volatile part of router's memory (some routers need the file names to begin with flash/ to survive reboot). If you lock yourself out, you can reset the configuration to factory default using the reset button and then restore the previous configuration. Safe mode is also good but I had cases when it failed.