Community discussions

MikroTik App

essides
Topic Author

VPN - What I should to use?

Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:32 pm

Hi there,

I'm trying to get information about what type of VPN do I have to implement but I'm completely messed.

People use company computers and they login with their own windows domain controller users.

Computers can be shared so use computer authentication isn't a option, it must to be by user.

Pptp have zero security but it works in the way I want. I can use username and password ( radius ) to authenticate user, it has no 3rd party apps and it's quite simple to manage. ( even I can use network sign-in in windows)

I was reading about IKEv2 but create a certificate for each user is problematic for huge scenarios, even when you want to revoke it.

Any options for a secure and easy VPN to deploy using windows domain controller?

Thanks!

MickeyT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: VPN - What I should to use?

Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:02 am

If you've already got the RADIUS authentication working with the MikroTik querying Windows AD then you can use any of the built-in VPN server options and you'd be much better off using L2TP/IPSec rather than PPTP.

If you don't want to install additional software and all of the VPN clients are running Windows then you can use SSTP and you'll only need to install certificates on the SSTP server end (I've done this using Let's Encrypt certificates and it works well).