Topic Author

CapsMan solution

Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:29 am

Hi, everybody
I have this senario:
14 Radio link on 3 buildings
in B1 there is router crc to manage all and want it as a CapsMan
there are swiches on the way just for passing traffics
So what do I need to do in My router and others links in two buildings?
What should I consider in this senario?
Best regards

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CapsMan solution

Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:42 am

Radio links are not use case for CAPsMAN. The show stopper is that CAP device needs connection to CAPsMAN before radio link is established (because CAPsMAN configures radio interfaces). Next issue is that in order to perform best, individual radio links have to be fine tuned (individually and as group if collocated) which is PITA to do via CAPsMAN.

If you're talking about 14 APs, connected to network using wires .. then it's a straight-forward scenario for CAPsMAN. The only issue to decide about is local vs. capsman forwarding. If all of APs will only emit single SSID (making whole wireless network a single mesh), then local forwarding is the way to go. If you'll create multiple wireless networks (multiple SSIDs transmitted from same AP), then you have to either configure VLANs in whole wired network (including switches) or go with capsman forwarding. In the later case all wireless traffic will hit capsman device (and it'll hit it hard) so it has to be pretty capable CPU-wise. A rule-of-thumb calculation: with 14 APs, each serving up to 200Mbps (can be much higher or lower depending on AP capabilities and radio conditions), that means close to 3Gbps of wireless traffic. I wouldn't go for any device which has less than 3Gbps of routing capacity (according to "25 ip filter rules, 512 byte packets" rule of thumb), double the capacity if the same device will also be used as main router/firewall. If you go for local forwarding, capsman requirements are fairly low (it only provisions APs when needed, traffic doesn't pass it if it's separate device).