Community discussions

MikroTik App

yunochi
just joined
Topic Author

What is Mikrotik CRS's 'Hardware Assisted' PTP Support meaning?

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:54 pm

Hi, I'm new in here, and I have maybe a little weird question.

I have a PTP Grandmaster in my network, and I want to use CRS326-24G-2S+ to distribute PTP packets to clients.

On this document, RouterOS support PTP E2E Delay mechanism(so, it also support Transparent Clock. right?) and it is hardware dependent feature.

So, what exactly does 'Hardware Dependent' mean?

As far as I know, For accurate timing, the packet must be timestamped just before it leaves the port. This means that, ideally, PTP packets should be timestamped on the moment that packets leaves the PHY's buffer.
So, where exactly will Mikrotik's equipment timestamp? Is it time to move from the switching chip to the PHY? When is it transmitted from the PHY to the cable?

My guess is that the CPU or switching chip supports the PTP timestamping function, and it looks like the PTP packet will timestamping the moment it leaves that chip, but I'd like to know if that's really the case.

Thanks for reading the long post.

se232

Re: What is Mikrotik CRS's 'Hardware Assisted' PTP Support meaning?

Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:41 pm

Hello *.*

we have a CRS326-24G-2S+ and a Grandmaster PTP master clock.
We need to set the domain to value 128. Is there any possibility to change the domain? A parameter would be nice

regards

mbeauverd
just joined

Re: What is Mikrotik CRS's 'Hardware Assisted' PTP Support meaning?

Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:33 am

We need to set the domain to value 128. Is there any possibility to change the domain? A parameter would be nice
I have the same question ... Did you fin a way ??