Community discussions

MikroTik App

nazarpc
just joined
Topic Author

ONU stick and CSS610-8G-2S+IN compatibility

Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:52 am

Hi folks,
I have been trying to make these work for months with no success.

Tried both V-SOL V2801F and C-Data FD511GX-RM0 ONU SFP modules.

I can get the switch to see that something it plugged in and get ATC indicator to blink, but that is about it.

I can't reach module's web interface (has static 192.168.1.1 address) or connect to the ISP.
Stats show growing "Tx Bytes", but "Rx Bytes" is always zero.

Any ideas what it might be? All posts related to Mikrotik I saw online were about RouterOS, but my device runs SwOs Lite.
Support was extremely slow, I only got a single response over a month ago and silence since.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: ONU stick and CSS610-8G-2S+IN compatibility

Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:43 pm

Mikrotik devices (running either SwOS or ROS) are notorious for flakey SFP modules support, even simple ethernet modules don't all "just work". And then I can understand that most people want ONU modules plugged to ROS because ROS allows to pull different tricks while SwOS doesn't.

jprietove
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:52 pm

Search in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=116364

nazarpc
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:59 pm

Search in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=116364
I think I read it all. My issue is the most basic one though: I can't even connect to the module itself, let alone get Internet connectivity.
Fiber optic cable is inserted into the module of course.

The module I have right now was flashed to work on Mikrotik devices and seller was sending me screenshots of it working, so I feel like there is something with SwOS specifically that causes issues.

nazarpc
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:01 pm

Mikrotik devices (running either SwOS or ROS) are notorious for flakey SFP modules support, even simple ethernet modules don't all "just work". And then I can understand that most people want ONU modules plugged to ROS because ROS allows to pull different tricks while SwOS doesn't.
I have a pfSense router for a long time that I'm happy with, I just need a switch that can take a few Internet from two ISPs and route it through 10G connection to router in different Vlans. And it does work when connecting via Ethernet, it is just ONU modules that are not working for some reason. And there doesn't seem to be shell access or anything like that on my device, so I have no tools to even diagnose it.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:23 pm

And there doesn't seem to be shell access or anything like that on my device, so I have no tools to even diagnose it.

That's what I'm talking about ... If the ONU SFP needs any kind of initialization procedure after power-up, then it can't be done by SwOS. If you need access to SFP module, then ... you may try to reach it through switch from another device. Etc. As said, ROS is much better suited to do such things. There are switches running ROS - any CRS device can run ROS and still be configured as a switch, but with much more capable management.

nazarpc
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:37 pm

And there doesn't seem to be shell access or anything like that on my device, so I have no tools to even diagnose it.

That's what I'm talking about ... If the ONU SFP needs any kind of initialization procedure after power-up, then it can't be done by SwOS. If you need access to SFP module, then ... you may try to reach it through switch from another device. Etc. As said, ROS is much better suited to do such things. There are switches running ROS - any CRS device can run ROS and still be configured as a switch, but with much more capable management.
It shouldn't need any initialization though.
Module runs as a bridge, should be transparent to the router and it has its own web interface (one I can't access from another device for whatever reason).
It is the complete ONT in the form of an SFP module.
Honestly I see no reason why it shouldn't work and would really like Mikrotik engineers to look into it if at all possible.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:21 am

I'm just stating the obvious ... MT doesn't properly support even all basic SFP modules (with or without DDE) so I'm affraid you'll grow old waiting for proper support of fancy SFP modules (ONU, VDSL, etc.)

nazarpc
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:29 am

I'm just stating the obvious ... MT doesn't properly support even all basic SFP modules (with or without DDE) so I'm affraid you'll grow old waiting for proper support of fancy SFP modules (ONU, VDSL, etc.)
That is really unfortunate, one of the main reasons I bought Mikrotik switch is to plug ONU stick in it.
After numerous shipping costs and trying different models and firmwares this is really sad to read.