Community discussions

MikroTik App

TikYAN
just joined
Topic Author

winbox on MacOS (Apple Silicon) with Dock launcher

Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:53 am

Hi Community,

i searched the forum and looked to the Dokumentation https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... boxonmacOS, which is pretty good and i know it is perhaps a question to the Wine Community, but:

I want to have winbox.exe in the Dock.

I tried to use an Apple-Script, but after i launch winbox, there is an additional icon called wine64-preloader https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS_FAQ#How_t ... en_.exe.3F
on run

--edit this to be the correct location and file to run (typically only edit after the "drive_c")
	set toRun to "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files/Winbox/winbox64.exe"

--edit winePrefix if you are not using the default prefix
	set winePrefix to "$HOME/.wine"

--edit wineLocation if your wine install is not the default location
	set wineLocation to "/usr/local/bin"

--edit dyldFallbackLibraryPath to your X11 lib folder, this one is set for XQuartz on 10.6+
	set dyldFallbackLibraryPath to "/opt/X11/lib"

--Setting freetype rendering to 35 fixes blurred fonts when using newer freetype versions
	set freetypefix to "truetype:interpreter-version=35"
	-------------------------------------------------------
	--DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE
	-------------------------------------------------------
	set toRunPath to do shell script "WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; TEMPVAR=\"" & toRun & "\"; echo \"${TEMPVAR%/*}\""
	set toRunFile to do shell script "WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; TEMPVAR=\"" & toRun & "\"; TEMPVAR2=\"" & toRunPath & "\"; echo \"${TEMPVAR#$TEMPVAR2/}\""
	do shell script "PATH=\"" & wineLocation & ":$PATH\"; export WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=\"" & dyldFallbackLibraryPath & "\"; export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=\"" & freetypefix & "\"; cd \"" & toRunPath & "\"; wine64 \"" & toRunFile & "\" > /dev/null 2>&1 &"

end run
and safe this Script to winbox.app, move it to the apps and check "stay in dock".
it's a bit ugly, cause everytime i launch winbox with apple script, i have additional wine64-preloaders in the dock and not a single icon.
dockicons.png
is it possible to put the winbox.exe in the MacOS Dock?
i mean i saw it in one of the last mikoritk youtube videos...

Best Regards,
YAN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: winbox on MacOS (Apple Silicon) with Dock launcher

Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:00 pm

We will never get proper support for macOS.
You can use Wine, but that will break on almost every macOS Update and will force you to use unsigned code.
It was the reason, why we had to switch to other manufacturers, even though MT has splendid Hardware.
If you want to have a working solution: use the iOS version on M1 or M2 ... it isn't nice ... but it works.

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:45 pm

PS: to everyone struggling with Ventura.

- update Wine to the latest Brew version
- Download the winbox64.exe
- open in Wine
- Disable the "open in new window" flag

You have to accept unsigned software in the system settings for at least a couple of times.
It will work. If you need a second window ... just repeat the steps above.

ectoplasmosis
just joined

Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:23 pm

I just use Winbox.exe via Parallels/UTM hypervisors running a bare-bones Win11 VM. UTM is free.

Works perfectly, no issues.

gdanov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:50 am

We will never get proper support for macOS.
You can use Wine, but that will break on almost every macOS Update and will force you to use unsigned code.
It was the reason, why we had to switch to other manufacturers, even though MT has splendid Hardware.
If you want to have a working solution: use the iOS version on M1 or M2 ... it isn't nice ... but it works.
I've been using winebox on osx for years, having none of the problems above. On intel mac, but the general experience should (eventually) be the same.

I'm using brew's wine-stable. I'm currently on wine 7.0. Recently upgraded to ventura, no problems.

I have "wine stable.app" in my /Applications folder that I don't remember where it came from (sorry). I have downloaded winbox64.exe and just plopped it in my /Applications folder. I have configured winbox64.exe to be opened with the "wine stable.app". I don't remember configuring any bottles, but there's probably one somewhere under the hood. So for me it works the same way as any other mac app. Of course it looks uglier...but it works. The said "wine stable.app" delegates to wine64 under the hood. Very probably it's part of the wine-stable brew recipe, read the docs. I get bouncing wine icon but only during start-up.

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:14 am

Well, you obviously have code running on your system that works, but you don't know what it does exactly. Doesn't sound secure tbh.

aspen63

Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:09 am

Hi! I try to connect to my new Mikrotik router through Winbox running on my Apple Silicon Mac in Windows 11 on Parallels. Mikrotik router is connected to my current Asus router and I can see it in Winbox. However when I try to login I get the message Could not connect. Trying to connect through web interface fails as well both in macOS and Windows. I believe there are some issues with network stacks. What should I do?

VadymMasiuk
just joined

Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:46 am

Hi! I try to connect to my new Mikrotik router through Winbox running on my Apple Silicon Mac in Windows 11 on Parallels. Mikrotik router is connected to my current Asus router and I can see it in Winbox. However when I try to login I get the message Could not connect. Trying to connect through web interface fails as well both in macOS and Windows. I believe there are some issues with network stacks. What should I do?
I was experiencing exactly the same problem earlier, and it was also with WinBox running on Windows via Parallels Desktop. If i'm not mistaken I just had to change Network Adapter mode to Bridge.