Community discussions

MikroTik App

leonardogyn
just joined
Topic Author

very high CPU usage after migrating to 7.x

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:58 pm

After finally migrating some RB3011 boxes from v6 to v7 (7.6), CPU usage got crazy high with absolutely no change on configuration whatsoever.

Graphs from Zabbix shows my previous CPU usage and usage now (on the right), after the update that happened last night, so I have a single day running v7.

I do have hotspot enabled, so enabling fasttrack is complicated as it completly screws up hotspot accounting (it's documented that will happen with fasttrack), so I prefer to keep it disabled. Previously, with v6, that wasn't a problem at all. In fact, today (monday) is the day we have the least users on the network, and yet CPU usage just got MUCH higher with v7. WAN traffic had no significant change to explain that.

While I know the RB3011 is not a SUPER powerful box, graphs are clear to show it was absolutely more than enough to serve this specific network with RouterOS v6. With v7, CPU usage is crazy high with no config change or network behavior (higher traffic, user count, etc) to explain that.

Some graphs from Zabbix ...
rosv7-1.jpg
Hotspot Authenticated Users - actually today is the day we have the least users on this network
rosv7-2.jpg
WAN traffic - no significant change to explain the CPU usage getting so high
rosv7-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

indy

Re: very high CPU usage after migrating to 7.x

Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:55 pm

The RB3011 does not work properly with v7.
You can find other threads on the forum with your exact same problem.
Unfortunately there is no eta on a fix from Mikrotik or even an acknowledgement of the issue.
I have given up and retired my RB3011.

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:40 am

Hello
It is strongly suggested to search the forum to avoid unnecessary threads.
The 3011 has an issue when you use a bridge in the ports, if you use it without any bridge in the switchports, the routers goes well.
The higher cpu is also because of the missing route cache.

I suggest to keep the 3011 for a while in 6.48.x to avoid issues.
I have upgraded all other MT devices to 7.6 without issues.

leonardogyn
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:18 pm

Hello
It is strongly suggested to search the forum to avoid unnecessary threads.
The 3011 has an issue when you use a bridge in the ports, if you use it without any bridge in the switchports, the routers goes well.
The higher cpu is also because of the missing route cache.
I'm not using bridged ports on this particular RB3011, so nothing related to the reported problems which, indeed, I found before posting.

In any case, decided to post because basically v7 screwed completly this box on this particular scenario, which is not affected by any of the known bugs for the RB3011.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:03 pm

Is a downgrade to LTS (6.48.6) an option?

leonardogyn
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:28 pm

Is a downgrade to LTS (6.48.6) an option?
I would like to avoid that ... but if v7 screws some models that much, I believe that's going to be my only option, and stuck to v6 forever on these models.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:37 pm

Sounds a bit dramatic...is there a functional requirement for switching to v7?

leonardogyn
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:40 pm

Sounds a bit dramatic...is there a functional requirement for switching to v7?
Yes, there's a reason, making v7 standard among my lots of MK boxes. I have some scripts that needed to be adjusted between v6 and v7, and I would not like to have to keep two versions in parallel. Not impossible, I know you'll say, but I really would like to avoid that only because a newer (and theorically better) version of RouterOS screwed that much some models.