Community discussions

MikroTik App

jimlc
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN configuration for external DHCP server

Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:51 pm

We recently moved to a VLAN'd network and have been having problems with trying to get this to work on our CRS309-1G-8S+ boxes. I've read and reread the VLAN directions, but I'm missing something. All VLANs work perfectly across our HPE switches, but fail on the Mikrotik.

Network layout:
- We have three VLANs. All three are available at all locations, but are divided by usage. One is for data traffic. One is for guest wifi. One is for VoIP phones.
- The data traffic (untagged) VLAN works fine.
- VLAN10 and 20 (guest and VoIP) appear to either have their tags stripped by the Mikrotik switches or cannot find the DHCP server. I'm unsure which, but I'm guessing the latter.
- DHCP is provided by a Windows server elsewhere on the network for all three VLANs.
- On the HPE switches, I configure a DHCP relay and the VLAns work fine.
- I've added a DHCP relay in the Mikrotik switches, just like I did in my HPE devices. It doesn't appear to work. No DHCP traffic reaches the server from the Mikrotiks on VLAN10 and 20.
- The Mikrotiks can ping the DHCP server, but don't seem to be relaying any traffic to it.

The end result is that if I have someone join the guest wifi from anywhere served by a Mikrotik, they connect, but never get an IP address. If the same person tries to join from somewhere served by an HPE, they connect fine and get an IP.

What configuration am I missing here?