Community discussions

MikroTik App

OndrejHolas
Topic Author

RBD52 (hAP ac2) Plastic degradation?

Sat May 28, 2022 11:15 am

Hi all,

I've just discovered, that my 4-year-old RBD52 has its plastic case sticky. Tried to clean it with alcohol, but it helped only a bit. Seems to me like a plastic degradation, especially plastifier migration. Compared to RB952-TC's (hAP ac lite), that have almost the same case, but obviously made from different material (or at least with different surface processing) - 5-year-old RB952's don't exhibit any stickiness.

Has anyone similar experience?

Ondrej

fragtion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RBD52 (hAP ac2) Plastic degradation?

Sun May 29, 2022 2:23 am

Vendors need to stop using that substance and be named and shamed when they do. It's the worst thing

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 29, 2022 3:37 pm

Well, it makes plastic feel "nicer" when touching. At least while it's pretty new. But: who the hell wants to be touching their routers/APs? What's f**ing wrong with white plastic in shape of a cube with sharp corners?

The answer is obvious: our better halves ... for a device to be eligible for living room placement, it needs WAF high enough.

WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor

OpenFiber

Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:54 pm

We've over 2000 hAP AC2's in our network, we do see the plastic degradation aswel. But it seems to be related to the temperature, routers we receive back from customer who have had the router close to their heating system / radiator are definitely showing more signs of this degradation.

We also see different behavior for different batches, some have been made in Latvia others in China.