Community discussions

MikroTik App

mmbabji
just joined
Topic Author

beeps every 30 seconds

Tue May 10, 2022 2:09 pm

Iam having Hex Model and the router started generating single beep once every 30 seconds.

log doesn't show any abnormal activity.
why my router beeps once every 30 seconds ?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: beeps every 30 seconds

Tue May 10, 2022 7:28 pm

use netinstall

mmbabji
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:20 pm

Sorry all... it was a false alarm
I have a Fire Alarm beeper it started beeping (because of a draining battery) and its sound is exactly similar to the Mikrotik router's beep !!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:35 pm

Sorry all...
and you realize it 6 months later?

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:15 pm

and you realize it 6 months later?
I'm sure it didn't take 6 months to discover, but perhaps he just realized that he had never updated the thread until now.

A related story.

I hate the battery dying "intermittent" beeps. They happen infrequently enough and are so short in duration that it is very hard to localize them. And it seems that they always go off in the middle of the night (perhaps because the temp goes down?).

Recommendation. If you replace a smoke detector, remove the battery from the old one. I wasted about an hour trying to find a good battery for a smoke detector (even though I had replaced the batteries in it several times that all "tested" as "excellent"), I thought the alarm I was replacing the batteries in was continuing to chirp intermittently. I finally discovered it was one I had replaced approximately 6 months earlier with a new one, and its battery had finally started to go flat. And of course my assumption was that the new smoke detector was faulty and that it "used a lot more power than the old one, because I never needed to replace the batteries after 6 months with the old one." What made me find it was that when I had removed the battery and was looking for a fourth new battery, and while I was searching for one, I realized the chirping had not stopped, even though there was no battery in it. And my first thought was that they have a pretty substantial capacitor to be able to keep it running that long with no battery, so I pressed the "test button" to drain the capacitor, and when that didn't solve the chirping problem, I finally wasn't able to rationalize away the evidence, and started looking elsewhere as the source of the chirp, and then found the old one about 10 feet away.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:52 am

Recommendation. If you replace a smoke detector, remove the battery from the old one.
Actually that is a general recommendation: when disposing off a battery-powered gadget, always remove battery from it. If not for other things, batteries are recycled differently than electronic circuits. It also helps to avoid excessive damage if dead battery decides to leak.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:21 pm

It also helps to avoid excessive damage if dead battery decides to leak.
Oh yes, learned that one already a long time ago.
Pretty nasty too when it starts leaking :shock: