Community discussions

MikroTik App

lagreeno
just joined
Topic Author

My IoT device can't find 2.4 ghz access point (MikroTik Chateau LTE18 ax)

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:18 pm

Hey there,

I don't know if this is the right place (topic) but I have an issue - my IoT device can't find (see) the 2.4 ghz access point (MikroTik Chateau LTE18 ax). It (IoT device) can see all the many neighbour access points but not my 2.4 ghz one.

I hadn't had a chance to dig deep into the MikroTik Chateau LTE18 ax specs and differences from "standard" rooters out there - so if anyone has any suggestions what to change in routerOS I would really appreciate?!

IoT WLAN specs:
Model: EU-OSK105
Standard: IEEE 802. 11b/g/n Antenna Type: Printed PCB
Antenna
Frequency: 2400~2483.5 MHz
Operation Temperature: 0ºC~45ºC/32ºF~113ºF
Operation Humidity: 10%~85%
Power Input: DC 5V/300mA
Maximum Transmitted Power: <20dBm

lagreeno
just joined
Topic Author

Re: My IoT device can't find 2.4 ghz access point (MikroTik Chateau LTE18 ax)

Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:52 pm

If anyone hits the same issue with this MikroTik Chateau LTE18 ax device then I resolved this issue by changing the 2.4ghz band from AX to N. At first I tried to limit only the channels usage from 1-11 but that didn't help. Then I changed the band to N and my IoT device (humidifier) were able to see the router and I was able to connect it!

Take care!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:19 pm

Its not a matter of making random changes on the hardware!

What is important is understanding what wifi standards the IOT equipment runs on..........
You cannot expect to connect two pieces of any equipment without first understanding what language, protocol, standards they speak.

The majority of IOT equipment is based on 2.4gh B or G or N. I have none that are A or AX.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:32 pm

In theory it is possible to set AP to support a number of generations concurrently and AP adapts to what individual clients support on frame-by-frame basis. In legacy wireless driver one sets band property to desired mix of generations, my hAP ac2 shows the following "in-line" help (when setting the 2.4GHz radio):
Band ::= 2ghz-b | 2ghz-b/g | 2ghz-b/g/n | 2ghz-g/n | 2ghz-onlyg | ...

The problem with wave2 driver is that the available possibilities are not very clear (and I hate the fact that "in-line" help is not enough context-sensitive any more):
2ghz-ax 2ghz-g 2ghz-n 5ghz-a 5ghz-ac 5ghz-ax 5ghz-n
So what exactly does e.g. setting 2ghz-ax mean? This generation only? Or everything from b to ax? I seem to remember we've had discussion about it before and result was that it's supposed to mean "everything up to and including", but I may be wrong. And even if it really means it, we can't disable support for ancient generations (802.11b comes on my mind).

Back to OPs problem: it's not unheard of that a device freaks out when it sees flags set which it doesn't understand. In a system where communication peers (e.g. AP and station) tell each other capabilities and gave to agree on common set of them to be used, both peers should just ignore unknown flags received from peer.
In such case it's necessary to dumb down AP. Sadly AP's generation setting is set per radio, not per (V)AP and using virtual APs wouldn't help in this case.