Community discussions

MikroTik App

tihovsky
Topic Author

TFTP server bug?

Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:29 am

On 7.6 setup TFTP server rule, but tftp client reports connection timeout when try to download the file after couple of retries.

- Client is windows10, with MS tftp and also tried WinAgents TFTP Client version 2.0b by Tandem Systems, Ltd. but still the same.
- TFTP rule is OK as otherwise error is displayed immediately and hits doesn't get updated. Real and request Filename is the same to make things simpler for troubleshooting 1.txt
- Tried with multiple tftp clients from LAN WiFi, same behavior if I omit IP, set it to LAN/24 address or set it to 0.0.0.0/0
- Setting tftp debugging doesn't add anything more detailed in the Mikrotik log, apart from timeouts after connection on the port is established.
- Tried turn off Read Only doesn't help, neither does allow-rollower.
- Tried adding fw rules for p 69 TCP & UDP, even turning off all input/forward firewall rules and nat rule on Mikrotik but still the same.
- Tried activating FTP service but still the same. TFTP port is defined and active in Firewall Service Ports.
- If I turn off read-only and try to upload same file with the correct name using tftp client PUT command, file gets created on Mikrotik but with the length 0 and upload timeouts in the same manner.
- Tried setting block sizes 4k, 1450, 1400, 1300, 512 per https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/TFTP but no luck still the same timeout.

This is first time for me trying to get it working on Mikrotik, so not sure what to try next.
Didn't test it on older Mikrotik versions, download from another non-Mikrotik TFTP server, nor using copper link yet but as first time trying this on Mikrotik I rather asked.

greglangford
just joined

Re: TFTP server bug?

Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:34 pm

I recently had a similar experience with the TFTP server. It turns out I had an srcnat rule from my LAN which did not have an out-interface attribute. As such it was changing the source IP on all the TFTP traffic from the LAN clients to the Mikrotik. By sorting out the srcnat rule it started working.