Community discussions

MikroTik App

OldGuy
just joined
Topic Author

Creating a test network need static IP by port

Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:43 pm

Hello,

I need to be able to connect multiple devices to the routerboard using a specific port and rely on that physical ports IP address remaning the same for each device connected so that my test functions properly across multiple systems. I am having difficulty in creating this set up and have been out of the field for many years. Any help would be appreciated.

OldGuy
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Creating a test network need static IP by port

Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:26 am

Still could really use some help on this. in the old days this was a simple thing to do, figured i would get blasted for such a simple question.
Any help would be appreciated, I need to get this resolved. Thanks!

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:06 am

It could be that people are not exactly sure what you want. More details could help. Maybe tell us how it was done in old days, and we'll see if present day technology can handle it or not.

OldGuy
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:11 pm

It could be that people are not exactly sure what you want. More details could help. Maybe tell us how it was done in old days, and we'll see if present day technology can handle it or not.
Good point. Basically its like the Cisco DHCP server port-based address allocation.

I would like to make Physical ports 1-10 to be on the same subnet all with a specific IP address issued to the device attached to each physical port. This way we can define in the test which device to connect to which port, as well as to use the same IP addresses through each system we test.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:33 pm

That is not "in the old days this was a simple thing to do", that is "with a Cisco this was a simple thing to do".
Apparently some Cisco customer came with this requirement and Cisco implemented it as part of their standard IOS.
In general, it is not something that is possible in a flat network with DHCP address assignment.
Of course in the MikroTik world you can achieve the same thing by making each port a separate network, each with a DHCP server instance, pool, etc.

OldGuy
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:39 pm

That is not "in the old days this was a simple thing to do", that is "with a Cisco this was a simple thing to do".
Apparently some Cisco customer came with this requirement and Cisco implemented it as part of their standard IOS.
In general, it is not something that is possible in a flat network with DHCP address assignment.
Of course in the MikroTik world you can achieve the same thing by making each port a separate network, each with a DHCP server instance, pool, etc.
The "old days" reference was to a Bay Networks system that we had where it was GUI based back around 99'. All you had to do was click on the port and set the IP address and it would assign that address to the device attached to it.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:11 pm

Maybe it was a quick way to configure DHCP option 82?
You can configure bridges to add option 82 in MikroTik equipment but I don't know how easy it would be to assign an IP based on the option 82 contents...