Community discussions

MikroTik App

oguruma
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Solution for point-to-point < 50 meters away?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:01 am

Want to set up an internet connection for a shopping mall kiosk. The kiosk is located in the middle of the hallway on the ground floor, and there's no way to get any kind of cable to it.

There is a wiring closet that houses all of the dmarcs about 30 meters away, and one story up, and a "drop-tube" with Cat6 going to it suspended from the ceiling. Management will allow the mounting of a WiFi device to the tube.

My idea was to put the ISP's modem in the wiring closet, and then use WiFi PtP to connect two directional WiFi devices together.

Interference is going to be a problem no matter what (most stores have their own internet connections using WiFi), but anyting over 50/5Mbps would be sufficient, since the connection is just to run a point-of-sale.

Maybe something like an SXTsq on either side, with a HAP/Hex/whatever inside the kiosk. In other words, use two SXTsq (maybe a different model?) to bridge the ISP modem to a router.

Is this a viable solution? Would it be best to use one of the PtP devices as the firewall? Or just pass it straight from the ISP to the "main" router that's in the Kiosk?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Solution for point-to-point < 50 meters away?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:40 am

You can also consider one of the 60GHz devices we have. No interference, more stable connection, ideal for shorter distances. https://mikrotik.com/product/cube_lite60

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:51 pm

Definitely recommend going with the 60ghz PtP stuff.

I work in Washington D.C. a lot. You wanna talk about wifi soup... This is the place.

We have a beer garden where the ISP decided to put their feed on the opposite side of the property from the system. (Think rectangle with the points being in the middle of the long sides). Rather than try to run a wire all the way around... A pair of cubes shoots right over the patrons. Saved a lot of time and money, doing it that way. Plus we get the full Gig of bandwidth.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:03 pm

Agree with gotsprings, 60ghz is the way to go but dont be suckered into the cube lite by Normis.
He likes downloads to take five hours, because it takes him that long to make a cup of coffee. Kitchen is not his forte. ;-PP
His favourite pet is a turtle!!

In other words, AVOID the cube lite with only 10/100 speeds.
However re-reading your requirements it seems you would be happy with 50Mbps........and thus the cube lite may be the magic you need.
I just would never limit myself to that speed especially if the next job required more bandwidth.............
For a few pennies more you have far more throughput for future growth or diffenent requirements.

I would look at this combo.......... Which comes pre-configured to provide a 1gig connection. ( basically a wireless ethernet cable )
https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire_cube