Community discussions

MikroTik App

misterc
just joined
Topic Author

CCR2116 PSU1 and PSU2 fail state

Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:19 am

Good evening,

I've recently been able to get my hands on a CCR2116 (running 7.6 stable) to replace my RB3011UiAS (running 6.46.8 - LT) but seem to be running into issues with the the PSUs entering into FAIL states according to the mikrotik logs (see attached). I'm unable to diagnose the issue but can provide some info.

I've read some threads which mention that the GPON SFP may be causing issues (viewtopic.php?p=931115) but would find that strange since on the RB3011 I haven't had problems. On the CCR I've set the advertise to 2.5G and am able to connect to the ISP (Bell Canada) through an ALCATELLUCENT-3FE46541AA for 1.5G speeds, but after an inconsistent amount of time, the router PSUs enter fail states and SFP data becomes unreadable. I've also tried setting the advertise speed to 1G (thinking 2.5G synch would be an issue) to match RB3011 settings to no avail; same PSU state fails. In addition I've also tried updating the routerboard firmware and packages to 7.7beta9 without success.

Would there be some sort of diagnostic I can run to ensure the hardware isn't an issue? I can provide more info if needed.

Thank you very much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

misterc
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CCR2116 PSU1 and PSU2 fail state

Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:16 am

Hello,

Just wanted to post an update, that even with regards to being updated to 7.8b3 still the same problem. PSUs health enter fail states and fault led activates. SFP connection drops and is unusable.
Can we expect a fix on this issue?

Thank you very much.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:10 am

First thing I would try is to swap the two power supplies - yes, that will take an outage, but it sounds like you are getting those already. See if the PS fault follows the supply.
Second is from your description, you are using a 3rd party SFP. Get a Mikrotik approved SFP. Yea, they are supposed to be universal, but they ARE NOT. Seem WAY to many situations where some particular SFP would work in on device, but not another. This is NOT limited to Mikrotik. I personally have seen this on Mikrotik, Cisco, and HP.

misterc
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:45 am

First thing I would try is to swap the two power supplies - yes, that will take an outage, but it sounds like you are getting those already. See if the PS fault follows the supply.
Second is from your description, you are using a 3rd party SFP. Get a Mikrotik approved SFP. Yea, they are supposed to be universal, but they ARE NOT. Seem WAY to many situations where some particular SFP would work in on device, but not another. This is NOT limited to Mikrotik. I personally have seen this on Mikrotik, Cisco, and HP.
Just wanted to mention, I updated to 7.8rc1 and the issues have been resolved. Really does seem as though it was a software issue since I haven't touched the PSUs. In addition, I'm not able to swap out SFP as to be able to work with the ISP, MAC validation is done and cloning on a Mikrotik approved one is outside my scope/expertise -- (are there any that even support such a function?). That being said, even though nothing in the patch notes points to SFP updates, after being stable for the past 3 days, I'm going to cross my fingers and hope the issue is resolved.

misterc
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:00 am

Seems like I was incorrect, the issue still isn't resolved. System health shows the PSUs as fine, but nothing for SFP or temperature -- even though I have a connection. In addition, TX and RX power are empty. You can see attached screenshot.

Will upgrade to 7.8rc2 and update on status. One thing I was maybe thinking that could be also be a cause of the issue looking at the block diagram was the Marvel 98DX3255 switch chip. I'm thinking about just testing if I can make the traffic flow through ether13 as it doesn't pas through the chip. See if there is any relation with different BASE-T connections on the Marvel chip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

itrack
just joined

Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:19 am

I encountered the same problem, on the same router model.
I use 2 SPF ONU.

edupre
just joined

Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:22 pm

Still have the same issue using 7.12 stable. I'm waiting to test the 7.13rc.

itrack
just joined

Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:18 pm

7.14beta3 still persist .

A solution or a workaround would be useful

kreb
just joined

Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:31 am

Tried to netinstall into a version not know to have the issue?