Community discussions

MikroTik App

fuddleduddle
Topic Author

SOLVED: CAPsMAN multiple SSIDs with master/slave

Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:50 am

Hey folks, I am new at Mikrotik but have decades of experience in networking. I got my first Mikrotik a HAP AC3 and punched through my first configuration. It took a bit of figuring out but I finally got it going with a bit of a complex config like this :

Multiple Subnets / bridges for :
- trusted wired
- trusted wifi
- kids wifi
- IOT wifi
- Guest wifi

I got that all hammered out with firewall rules between subnets and all working great!

Next I went on to look into CAPsMAN because I also have an access point that I want to centrally configure, and once I get that one done I will buy a 2nd AP to hang off the HAP AC3 as well.

So first step is just getting CAPsMAN managing the local AP on the HAP AC3, but I can't get anything other than the master SSID coming up. There don't seem to be a lot of examples on anything but basic setups.

Oh I should mention I am a GUI guy right now and looking for help with the GUI.

Went into the wireless settings and turned on CAP just for the main 5Ghz radio because I still need to be able to connect with my 2.4Ghz connection because it is not convenient to hard wire to it. This much is working well all my SSIDs end in either 5 or 24 and only turning the 5Ghz over to CAPsMAN seems to work fine.

In my master config I set a config name, SSID, Mode=ap, Band=5Ghz-a/n/ac, specific bridge selected. I have a similar config for slave.

Provisioning I do "Action: create dynamic enabled" and my master config file, and name format "cap"

In the slave I do the same and select the same master config file as well as my slave config file.

I click on the "Radio" tab then "Provsion" but only the master interface comes up and there are no entries at all in the log.

I think I've given all the details required but let me know if I have missed something.

thanks.
Last edited by fuddleduddle on Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuddleduddle
Topic Author

Re: CAPsMAN multiple SSIDs with master/slave

Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:17 am

I put some screenshots here in my google photos that might help you help me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XDiZgAL6ByARyXRAA

fuddleduddle
Topic Author

Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:32 am

Interestingly enough I got it working by manually adding all the CAPS interfaces as you can see in the screen shot I just added to my photos. Still not sure why dynamic provisioning was not working. Also wondering if there is a specific advantage to dynamic provisioning - is there a compelling reason for me to want to get that working versus what I now have working?

EDIT: Oh I think I see why I want the dynamic one working. I just added another external CAP and it only go the config of the main interface and looks like I'll have to manually configure all the other ones. With a complex configuration like mine with 10 different SSIDs that means 10 manual configurations every time I add an AP. So I'd really like to get the dynamic one working
Last edited by fuddleduddle on Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuddleduddle
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:48 am

No help out there?

I moved my gear around so I can hard-wire into the router, and so I removed the manual configurations (that were working) and turn all the wifi over to CAPsMAN.

I can get my base 2.4G SSID up, and my base 5G SSID and they work fine, but I can't get any of the slave SSIDs up when using the provisioning tab. I've gone through my configurations numerous times and they look right to me.

fuddleduddle
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:05 am

My issue looks an awful lot like this other issue so I'm just cross linking the two

viewtopic.php?p=971813

fuddleduddle
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:09 am

OK that issue was resolved a friend helped me out - in provisioning I should only have 1 line for all my 2.4GHz and another line for all my 5GHz, with ALL slaves listed along with the master.

Somehow I thought it was 1 line per intereface so I listed the master on its own, then each slave on its own line along with the master. Duh!

New problem though some lines are showing up "no supported channel" so I have to look into that. Updated the screen shots at my link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XDiZgAL6ByARyXRAA

fuddleduddle
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:11 am

And I think I found the answer in this thread - in doing debugging I changed from "any" to "indoors" location.

viewtopic.php?t=173453

I'll change it back.

fuddleduddle
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:16 am

​Still some showing as "no supported channel" but will have to look into it tomorrow

fuddleduddle
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:17 am

​Still some showing as "no supported channel" but will have to look into it tomorrow. Looks like my 5GHz are not coming up but my 2.4 are

fuddleduddle
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:27 pm

I think I have it fixed this morning but no time to test before work. I updated my screen shots at the link I provided above but what I did was make 4 different provisions - 2 for the main router AP as well as 2 for the CAP. In each case there is one provision for the 2.4G radio and one for the 5G radio, each matching the MAC address. This appears to bring everything up properly!

kurio

Re: SOLVED: CAPsMAN multiple SSIDs with master/slave

Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:30 pm

Thanks for the experience.
I have managed to create secondary SSIDs on one of the HAP AX CAPs. So, this is wifiwave2 CAPSMAN and CAPS.
These secondary SSIDs are shown as dynamic wifi interfaces.
But i cannot do the same for the other CAPs. They only show main SSID interfaces, they dont add secondary.
How to force them to reload the config from the CAPSMAN and to configure all the wifi interfaces?

pterhu
just joined

Re: SOLVED: CAPsMAN multiple SSIDs with master/slave

Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:02 pm

You can do a provision by hand on the selected cap device/cap's radio or reconnect the cap to capsman (disable/enable cap) or even reboot the cap device.