firebat
Topic Author

Vote for new DUDE features!

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:22 am

ubb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:53 pm

Board admins: can this be made an Announcement?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:30 am

done

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Feaure reques WIKI

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:49 am

How can I add vote for a certain features? I had to open the post for edit to add new requests. I almost deleted all the requests by mistake!!!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:24 pm

register, hit "EDIT", change vote count +1. example:

new dude feature (votes: 1)

edit it to:

new dude feature (votes: 2)

and then SAVE

schat

Backup Feature

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:19 am

It would be awesome to click on a mikrotik radio in dude and backup the config straight to that dude icon for storage.

Dude Rocks Thanks :twisted:

firebat
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 am

Add you request to the Wiki page. :wink:

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Task completed, Thanks

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:53 am

First I sure would like to thank MicroTik for their efforts and sure for paying attention to our remarks and wishes.

Second, in the feature request wiki, 2 of the requests I have entered are fulfilled, thanks. The question is what is better:
*) edit the wiki and remove the entries, or
*) leave them there for MicroTik remarks for completion.
*) put a remark that it has been completed (this is what I did).

Third,
I wish all dude users read the feature list and add their requests, or at least vote for the existing requests.

Best Regards
Hazem

jma_sp
just joined

Re: Vote for new DUDE features!

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Features:

- Option for add not visible comments of an object: by example computer user description or other anotations.
- Copy / paste object with same caracteristics.
- Posibility to redirect an existing link, disconecting from one object and link to other.
- Wake on Lan.
- An entry for UltraVNC / TightVNC.
- Best adjust of the text in the object, now some times the text do not recognized the intro for new line, and some other
times the head of the text only seems in part.

Thanks for all, Dude V3.0 Beta 6 works fine for me, and i am learning a lot with it. :D
Last edited by jma_sp on Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giepie

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:28 am

Hi everyone

I have another feature request.

I thought it would be very useful to have a graph on the DUDE interface.

What I thought, was to have the same kind of graph you find within MT on each interface. Ideally you should be able to add a GRAPH device on DUDE, tell DUDE on which IP the graph needs to be, and if the authentication is correct, the GRAPH device can give you the option for which interface it needs to be, or possibly even the CPU and RAM usage.

The idea is to have a graph running constantly instead of when you hold your mouse over the device.

Just my thoughts..

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:39 am

the graphs are already running constantly, just double click on the device, a window will open.

Giepie

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:57 am

I would like the graph to be stationary.

If you add a device such as a Router, the device will always be there, and you can move it around.

If the graph can also be like that, it would be perfect.

The idea for this is to put monitors on some of your interfaces, and with some devices have more than one graph to monitor more than one interface at a time.

Hope it makes sense.

G

subrec
just joined

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:37 pm

How about a category for IP Phones, and the ability to discover layer 2 devices like my IP phones?

tomekmak

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:25 am

imo the best one is a linux/unix demon (like windows service)...

satlx
just joined

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:39 am

Dude is great, wonder how it's possible to have such free and functionaly well made software !

Any how, the automatic png map export of dude is very helpful in case of integration in web site reports, altought , it's not possible to configure yet the same function for charts.

This would realy be a very nive improvement !!!

many thank's

and keep on !!!

For information: i'v learned about the existance of Dude in a local Malian (W africa) Bank that's using this networking tool to control their network ... !!!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:35 pm

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the suggestions, we will look into it.

awsmith

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:06 am

I voted for "more variables/functions to work with", however, the examples given seemed to be for builtin logical operators. What I specifically want is the ability to create tools applied to devices that can use variables such as dude username and (maybe) dude password and supply them as arguments to winbox.exe or ssh, for example.

The environment we are trying to create is one where a large list of people have access to the dude, and can right-click tool winbox into RouterOS devices, but use the current built-in device variables for username and password for a generic read-only/monitoring access level. We want to use radius and unique individual usernames and passwords for administrative access into RouterOS devices, but find it tedious to instead right-click a device, go into settings, copy it's IP, externally execute winbox.exe, paste in the IP, and manually enter the username and password.

What I'd like is the ability to create another tool that used the username and password that the unique user used to log into the dude server, and have the tool use those credentials as variables passed on as arguments to the winbox.exe execution.

As a more general request, I guess I'd like to see the ability to reference all variables, not just the subset of device variables, when creating tools.

(edit: Well, I feel a bit foolish. I created a new tool called 'User Winbox' that, if winbox.exe is in your system path, will spawn the winbox login interface, with the proper device first address and ones last used username, and just the password to fill in. This method is workable, but I'd prefer something that worked once the user installed the dude client, not necessarily needed to place winbox.exe in a system folder or modify the system path to include wherever the winbox.exe resides).

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:07 pm

This wiki method of voting is worthless, confusing, etc.

I have hsphere webhosting software. They have a similar "vote for new features" page that works great. Each user gets one point for each license they have. If they did not buy the license directly from them, the license can be imported into the control panel. If a feature is implemented, the user gets their votes back. If the user changes their mind, they can pull their vote points from one request and either keep them in their points field or assign to another request.

I would love to see this functionality for both RouterOS and Dude. Letting users have more points for all the ROS licenses they have would keep the vocal minority from requesting dumb features and give some power to those who are loyal customers.

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:07 am

1. Posibility to poll multiple interface at single divice - Server with multiple ip addresses and services
2. Posibility to poll with DNS name - Polling by domain name instead of IP
Last edited by stmx38 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:43 am

- when device may have several interfaces (routers, servers) or ports (bridges, switches) it would be good if we could define those interface within object and even assign MAC's and IP's to them. That would help a lot to keep map reflecting real situation as much as possible

- for link lines, add more patterns, and even option to set color

- when two objects are set on map on top ov each other (verticaly) and connected with a link that shows link speed, we have to make quite space between objects to have speed info visible. It would be better if free space is calculated in a way that objects could be as close as possible, to save space.

- I had to add switch as static object to make it act on map as expected, but then it is far too limited and does not even show up on dependencies map.

beerfiend

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:44 pm

how'd the name of this program come about anyway? my only request would be more control in the graphs. it's nice to be able to quickly change from hour to day to week to month to year, but what about when you need to get granular. they seem to be a bit vague as far as data labels. Also the ability to look back would be nice in a specific range. say i wanted to see what was happening at this same time last year, but the graph would be to small to even read when it's blown out to a year like that. Kudos on the rest of the app though. i've found a few bugs but nothing that can't be worked around, and with the bug reporting built in I'm sure they'll be addressed int he next release anyway.

chas
just joined

Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:26 am

I've got one simple suggestion. Dude like other Windows applications should have intuicial interface, it's almost done, we have mouse right-click menu, but double-click it's not perfect for me... Double-click in a network map should put me into the device (winbox in mikrotik devices, web site in some CPE). Maybe some configuration of double-click option will have to be in general settings in dude.

sytex
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:22 am

"Execute on Mikrotik" type notification would be great.

I mean: If a service (or a device) changes status, The dude runs a command or a script on an other Mikrotik device.

Example: Two gateways to internet, gw1 gw2. 1 main router (which connects to the gateways). If gw1 is down, then a script would run on the main router which redirects the whole traffic to gw2.
This is only one example (I know, this expample is possible to make now in the ROS, but I want to manage theese from Dude).

lanfan
just joined

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:20 pm

What´s about reporting features ?
Missing something like an availability report for devices (ex. switches/routers) depending on SLA´s (7x24x365, 5x8 per year month etc.).

Is this possible to realize ?

Davermenator
just joined

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:23 pm

*BUMP*

I took some time out today to update the Wiki Feature request page...please check my work! 8)

On another note, I was wondering if anyone has a desire to track VLANs with Dude. For example, if a business has a relatively large layer 2 network, and a whole mess of different VLANs on different switches throughout the network.

*Could the link type be added as a field in the Links window?
*Could the interface be added as a field in the Links window?
*Could a window be added, similar to the Address Lists window, where one could simply create a list of VLANs for a network and add notes to it for documentation purposes?

Just thought I would share my thoughts.

sady
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:00 pm

-can be tooltip customized by text content and by graphics content? For example - if i want to add some graph on device i will add some variable in Global Parameters (like [graph("some_graph_name")] and here it is. Will be perfect!

-may be functions for trigger notifications in script language? now it is only available using execute() function.

adamd292

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:27 am

This is a great tool, and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I'm using Dude 3.0RC3 and I'm currently building some maps for end users.

There is one small feature that I'd like:
* Wherever the "Shape" option appears, I'd like the an option that says:
--> none (draw no shape at all, just show device icon and label).

I have recently discovered the nifty "use default" option on device appearance and shape.
If you click the arrow next to a dropdown (image, colour, shape, whatever) and change it from a down arrow to an up arrow, a device will revert to it's default.
Last edited by adamd292 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

enk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:38 pm

Please add:
1) ability to monitor rx/tx signal strength like bit rate rx/tx with checkbox (Votes: 7)
2) ability to upgrade BIOS through The Dude like RouterOS (Vote: 1)
3) ability to use periodical service monitoring (f.e from 9:00 am to 18:00 pm). Useful for CPE routers which can be shutdowned by customer. (Vote: 1)

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:27 am

I would like a Probe Function range... Or maybe I can't understand how to build it.
In other words I would like to graph temperatures and if they go out of range I would like to continue to graph those values.

Everything I tried so far stops graphing as soon as the error level is reached.

rebellion

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:48 pm

Example. i have chain of some hosts, one host is down, i hit "Ack", and forget it. After some time host is up, all is fine, but when host is down again, he is allready acknowledged. i think its wrong, and every time, when acknowledged host is up, he must be automatically unacknowledged.
Or maybe i can configure if somewhere?

rebellion

Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:19 am

it will be great to see this 2 features:
1. export (every hour f.e.) pictures from charts (in maps it is allready possible).
2. export to txt all outages with all data and notes.

rebellion

Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:53 am

oh, and get more ways to configure access rights for admins

brodiemac
just joined

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:46 am

Better documentation :?

m4rk0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:23 am

New request added...

* Ability to send group reboot AND console command.

texmeshtexas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:21 pm

Please add ability for syslog server to receive TCP syslog messages.
Some network appliances, such as Mobotix cameras, only send syslog messages using TCP.

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:38 pm

I am adding this feature request in the Wiki but I would like to explain it here:

Device appearnce includes valuse from the OID or live values. Now if the device is not reachable, all that info disappear.

I know it is natural to read that info live from the device, as it might include some current readings from diffrernt functinos.

What I would like to request as a feature is to cache that info if the device is down till it comes up again.

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:23 am

Client Only:

I have a few operators that I would like to have them run a Client-Only version of Dude. I don't want them to be able to run a server on their machines (for various reasons).

Norman
just joined

Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:21 am

I think that's in already. Just deselect server package when installing thedude.
Turn off server autostart still just to make sure :) I may be wrong though.

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:39 pm

I think that's in already. Just deselect server package when installing thedude.
Turn off server autostart still just to make sure :) I may be wrong though.
I am sorry Norman, it didn't work. I installed Dude 3.1 (choosing not to install the server files). When I run the dude it found that the server is running on local machine (local server is up and running and enabled all the time)!!

I thought as you did, not installing servers files means , server will not be available in this installation.

Am I missing something here?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:48 pm

I have seen the same server automatically starts when you fresh install even though server files checkmark is unchecked.

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:00 am

What about Unicode in device names and right-to-left support

feanor
just joined

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Please, it will be very usefull for big networks:
- some API to work with dude server and add, manage, control objects
For example, package in Python.. or something like that..

Anonymo
just joined

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:48 pm

Please make a Linux version

QpoX

Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Please make a Linux version
No make a version for Mac OSX!
See the problem ? :)

Just Wine it! or VMware!

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:23 pm

1. check device with two or more interfaces(IP)
2. check device by DNS name(IIS host header name)
3. repeat notifications after set period(after x minutes)
4. Support of SMTP-Auth for sending email notifications

That is all i need to implement The Dude in my production environment

Thanks.

sioannou
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:08 am

Hello,

I would like top see a comment for an acknowledgement for an error. for example if something goes red in the Dude when you Ack the problem to pop out and ask for a comment so if there are more than 1 engineer looking at dude to know the problem is being handled. Aslo a note above the equipment with the Ack note will be great.

Thanks,

Sotiris

m4rk0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Also request: "Possibility to reboot all devices or change passwords at once"

Vote @ http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... e_Requests

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:45 am

we are already working on that.

m4rk0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:58 am

we are already working on that.
Nice, Thank You! ;)

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Two successive versions in a short time!, I was expecting a major issue resolved in one of these updates;

"SMTP Authentication "

For me this is a primary feature that needs to be introdced in the next version of The Dude.

Can we hope for it?

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 04, 2009 2:40 pm

What ever happened to the voting arrangement, this is a mess now.
where are the votes? why are 11 votes are grater that 35? Are these all what was there before?

One last question; Does it really matter to be concerned about the voting and the votes?

Thanks to all.

heelsbqTD
just joined

Thu May 07, 2009 12:33 am

1. Posibility to poll multiple interface at single device - see http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21958
2. Save the width columns in Devices view: resize or added Custom Field are not saved
3. Save the sort criteria (time for example) and sens (descending for example) for each 4 log files (action, debug, event, syslog)

Long life Dude :)

mcjarod
just joined

Thu May 07, 2009 6:23 am

Great in the search, best than 3.0rc3!!

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Two successive versions in a short time!, I was expecting a major issue resolved in one of these updates;

"SMTP Authentication "

For me this is a primary feature that needs to be introdced in the next version of The Dude.

Can we hope for it?
Great news... they added it a while ago.
snmpv3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

adamd292

Fri May 08, 2009 3:14 am

SNMP or SMTP :D

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 11, 2009 4:27 pm

OH MY :) sorry about that :)

Hey would it be possible to enable a 2nd smtp server that supports smtp authentication on the dude server and just send email from the dude to the other 2nd email server then just forward the email from the 2nd email server which will use SMTP Auth?

It should work and then email from the dude would never traverse the network only authenticated email would leave the dude server.

Sanchez
just joined

Mon May 18, 2009 8:24 pm

When dude сlient lose connection with the dude server, after restore link, returned to baseline values of that window.
Where left open the flip. I would like to see that when you open the card to full-screen view that it has remained.
I hope you understand me:)
Thanks 8)
Last edited by Sanchez on Tue May 26, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 20, 2009 11:23 am

I want to be able to export graph data as values (the only option now it to export as images). This will help analyzing and more graphing options (e.g log scale graphs )

trm3

Fri May 22, 2009 8:28 pm

Example. i have chain of some hosts, one host is down, i hit "Ack", and forget it. After some time host is up, all is fine, but when host is down again, he is allready acknowledged. i think its wrong, and every time, when acknowledged host is up, he must be automatically unacknowledged.
Or maybe i can configure if somewhere?
Agreed. ACKs should be autocancelled after transition to UP status. Should at least be an option...

alphahawk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Have a client/agent install version of dude for ROS that is not so bloated with unneeded files when I only install the dude to act as a agent.

harrylee
just joined

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:42 am

Hi gus

can i add the graph for monitor each routerboard interface traffic?

Thank you

pcpolo
just joined

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:49 pm

Iphone application!!

mic
just joined

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:06 pm

1) Abillity to move device from one map to another (edit parameter in device list, idealy for selected group of devices)
2) Buttons to autoorder devices icons in map to the grid, sorted by name or by IP, num of devices in row presseted. Now are buttons to diagonal and circle only.
3) More user parameters in device property table (now are 3)
2) Set visible collums in device list (add some property of device), as in winbox
3) Preset template for new device (device propertis preset, add only IP and name)

Thanks Mic

kapulan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Vote: Dude Central backup with ssh interface to dude mt device.

Insider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:52 am

Following has to added:

1/Packet loss between the device, not just latency, today it is not case of having connection, but having quality connection
2/Workout latency based not on ms, but microsecond welcomed (Woohooo)
3/Disabling device on map (not deleteing, just disabling for while) for cases of repair works (it hasnt to be all branch red for 3 hours and my phone hasnt to receive 30 SMS with device shutdown)
4/Better support for SNMP readouts on links, individual script form for each device includin OWN and prefered MIB (we uses many manufacturer units on network and standard SNMP request doesnt suite our needs)
5/Improve export of setting, by having over 600 units on maps it just not work (it really looks like working, than it ends whit no SAVE table) and we have to copy datas from data folder to have archive (believe me, redraw 600unit maps with individual passwords and settings, I would prefer go to Latvia to kill someone, than to redraw it)
6/Crypt the datas in repository!! All the passwords and sensitive stuff from notes is accessible to each who can read Dude directory - really cute, I was mad as hell, when I found that.
7/Give ability of automatic download of all types packages to dude, once stable revision appear. Its realy not funny to download all 10 images to Dude server :)

jbishir
just joined

Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:55 pm

Maybe this has been brought up, Im not sure.

In dude there is a place for username and password in the general tab of the device. However this only works with winbox. Lets say I have a Motorola AP in my network, when I click on tools, web, it opens up the motorola ap in ie or firefox, but I still have to input the username and password. It would be cool if you guys could make the dude's device general tab fill out the web request with the info needed. Is that clear? I think it would be cool and very helpful indeed. Thanks

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:21 am

Possibility to send Email notification trough secondary mail server if primary server is down.
Thanks !

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:34 am

able to log all data on a mysql or oracle datatbase directly

and be able to view lon,lat,time/date, and speed value of the gps via smnp

and be able to log it into the database

Javito
just joined

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:10 am

Hi, Best for all...
I request the posibility to control the system health on services, with the possibility of configure notifications if the voltage or fan down bellow a configurable value.
I also insist in the possibility to control the temperature of the boards and include it on system health with the same feature.

Best regards, and good job.

TBacker
just joined

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:10 am

Hi all!

New Dude user. So far it's fitting my needs pretty well. I did add some minor useability requests:

+Custom status text - just "up" or "down" does not adequately relay the message for some notifications.
+Remember column widths in tables / data grids. Presently reset to default at redraw.
+Ability to add a probe to a multi-selected group of devices

I also voted for:

+Custom WMI queries on the Windows Computers and Servers (WMI is the only way I can monitor Microsoft Exchange mail ques).

In addition, while the worst part of development, the documentation is pretty far behind now. I ended up relying more on experimentation than the docs.

How often is The Dude updated generally?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

This is my plea...

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:26 am

First and foremost you have the best network management product on the market and it is free. I believe that if it was managed correctly you would expand your market dramatically and improve networking everywhere. Who is the original programmer of the dude? I am sure others are also interested to know...

I'd like a feature where bugs that are found can be requested to be fixed and they would get fixed with out desperation (for the user and the developers) on the other hand if you open the source this would not be such a high pressure situation. The neat and orderly position of the users would make these fixes trivial. It is easy to see that having a great management product simplifies users needs and benefits your long term position.

I understand the plans are to move to a database solution. This is a nice step in the right direction but people have been waiting months for simple bug fixes. I made a desperate plea which moved from the dude from 3.3 to 3.4 but I felt I was out of bounds asking for fixes for free software.

MikroTik is running in serious networks and has a real potential to crack the market open. It has gained significant ground by many people trying to make their network management enjoyable. The trouble is there has been no official word about the future and when things are going to be looked at.

I have been posting for quite a while helping where I can and I plan to continue to help. There are some great ideas and many worthy requests that should be implemented but the environment feels stale. The requests for upgrades and bug fixes keep coming...

Documentation has mainly been through this forum and some old wikis but I want to impress on you that this free product is the groundwork for something much bigger. I see the original intent was to create an environment that fosters usage of your products. That has worked wonderfully (if not than this plea is useless) but I also believe that it is time to move forward and let the users have what they want. The users want a place where they can see a coordinated attack on problems and solutions being offered in a shorter time span. (Go look at the guy with the as400 snmp issue, never solved). Sure you can't solve every problem but if you solved his trouble would he recommend router boards or cisco?

So my plea is for you to recognize that you have a wonderful product (which you should already know) and it is the foundation to much greater things but it needs nourishment. Make the right choices here. Make bug fixes a priority, add a schedule that has a release every 3 months or so and consider opening the source after all the dude is so sweet!!!

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: This is my plea...

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:57 pm

I am 100% with sweetdude regarding this issue. I almost daily check on MikroTik's site wishing there is an updated version for Dude.
First and foremost you have the best network management product on the market and it is free. I believe that if it was managed correctly you would expand your market dramatically and improve networking everywhere. Who is the original programmer of the dude? I am sure others are also interested to know...

I'd like a feature where bugs that are found can be requested to be fixed and they would get fixed with out desperation (for the user and the developers) on the other hand if you open the source this would not be such a high pressure situation. The neat and orderly position of the users would make these fixes trivial. It is easy to see that having a great management product simplifies users needs and benefits your long term position.

I understand the plans are to move to a database solution. This is a nice step in the right direction but people have been waiting months for simple bug fixes. I made a desperate plea which moved from the dude from 3.3 to 3.4 but I felt I was out of bounds asking for fixes for free software.

MikroTik is running in serious networks and has a real potential to crack the market open. It has gained significant ground by many people trying to make their network management enjoyable. The trouble is there has been no official word about the future and when things are going to be looked at.

I have been posting for quite a while helping where I can and I plan to continue to help. There are some great ideas and many worthy requests that should be implemented but the environment feels stale. The requests for upgrades and bug fixes keep coming...

Documentation has mainly been through this forum and some old wikis but I want to impress on you that this free product is the groundwork for something much bigger. I see the original intent was to create an environment that fosters usage of your products. That has worked wonderfully (if not than this plea is useless) but I also believe that it is time to move forward and let the users have what they want. The users want a place where they can see a coordinated attack on problems and solutions being offered in a shorter time span. (Go look at the guy with the as400 snmp issue, never solved). Sure you can't solve every problem but if you solved his trouble would he recommend router boards or cisco?

So my plea is for you to recognize that you have a wonderful product (which you should already know) and it is the foundation to much greater things but it needs nourishment. Make the right choices here. Make bug fixes a priority, add a schedule that has a release every 3 months or so and consider opening the source after all the dude is so sweet!!!

rodolfo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:26 pm

I wish the ability to DISABLE a device on a nwtwork map.
The disabled device is not polled by dude and it doesnt send alerts.

thanks

TBacker
just joined

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:35 pm

I am 100% with sweetdude regarding this issue. I almost daily check on MikroTik's site wishing there is an updated version for Dude.
By looking at this forum, I am getting the impression that The Dude, while an excellent start, is not going anywhere very fast. It looks like development is at the authors whim.

Obviously the paying apps get most of the development time (RouterOS). I guess that's to be expected.

The author should:

A. Make The Dude open source so that development can be much more robust.

OR

B. Make it a paid app (please, not the typical $300 - $10,000 price tag!) and step up the development.

sady
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:47 am

The author should:

A. Make The Dude open source so that development can be much more robust.
Many users pray on that, but we can only hope and wait :)
We can't see any reason on "why not", but happy hour didn't came :(

conjurer
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:08 pm

I wish the ability to DISABLE a device on a nwtwork map.
The disabled device is not polled by dude and it doesnt send alerts.

thanks
What about ack/unack?

momi

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:35 pm

1. Please Dude on linux............................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

guilsson
just joined

Please come back with Outlines option !

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:24 pm

I stuck on 3.0 beta 7.
Why ?
3.0b7 is the last version the has Outlines option. Ie, the black line draw around each element. Without it, the several pages that I have look likes too messy.

Please come back with Outlines option !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Would be nice to be able to right click an element and select SubMap.

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:52 am

RADIUS authentication for login to DUDE, passthrough authentication for winbox/telnet/ssh sessions started from w/in winbox, certificate/keyed authentication from dude server to remote routers.

Those would be up on my list.

SNMP Trap receiver would be awesome, too.. I was just thinking about how many uses I would have for it the other day...

pmg
just joined

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks for a nice tool!

+ Add feature to import/export Probes (will help users to share probes much easier and in probe-sets)
+ Add probes compatibility with "nmap-service-probes" (file with version-detection definitions, with Send/Receive structure)
+ Fix regex validation for Probes while using Send/Receive combination, currently "[^\0]" gives a error

azhur2
just joined

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:55 am

+SNMP Traps
+SMTP Auth for email notifications
+Notifications on link utilization crossing some threshold (less than 5% or over 80% for example)
+Abillity to move device from one map to another (idealy for selected group of devices)

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Do a specific job when specific event occured.
For example run a script in mikrotik device when a service time outs on a server.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:27 pm

@omidkosari

I don't have a RB to test with but shouldn't you be able to use "execute" and a batch job to perform what you are requesting?

A quick search for execute, I am not using the function but maybe you can find a way to do what you like...
http://forum.mikrotik.com/search.php?ke ... mit=Search

GL,
Lebowski

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:27 am

Dude v3.6 came out today.

Unfortunately still most of the above features were not implemented.

:-(

I vote for:
- RADIUS Authentication
- At least RouterOS authentication (instead of seperate username/pass/groups)
- SMTP auth (or at least ability to send email to RouterOS's SMTP client)
- Ability to execute RouterOS commands as notifications
- Scripting.. PLEASE. I need to ability to change and query Dude's properties and parameters (exactly like RouterOS) through scripting. Please. This would be awesome.

Anyway, hope these get implemented. It's long long overdue.

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 07, 2010 11:05 pm

+ SMTP Auth
+ WMI
+ Permissions Per map/functions(add notifications/device/logs/edit device)
+ Syslog Customization (highlighting, dns lookup, mail alert, filter)
+ Multiple device interface
+ Web Interface Like Dude Interface
+ Linux Port

Thanks.

Tony Burton

Tue May 11, 2010 2:06 pm

+ Linux daemon

I would also like the capability of having a device on multiple maps, ie the same instance of a device.

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 14, 2010 5:40 pm

User Settings + more fields - Allowed Address

salamon
just joined

Thu May 20, 2010 10:03 am

Dude server as linux daemon (no wines) please...

stepw
just joined

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:41 am

Ability to run web-server component on a different host. Similar to how client portion can connect to Dude server via a local pipe or remote socket. Web-server could use the same access settings that client is normally using (server host IP, port, username, password).

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:36 am

Now, I've got an Android phone, would it be too much to ask for a light version of Dude for the Android. At least just notifications.

sonny
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi All,

what about Dude for IPad?

Sonny

QpoX

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi All,

what about Dude for IPad?

Sonny
iPad only has a small market share (only 3mio sold units).
So making one just for iPad is a waste, and so will making one for Android also.
A Webinterface with Ajax or so, will be a better solution for all!
Since iOS, Android, Symbian, and blah blah blah, will want an app for their smartphone.

I am myself an iPhone user, so don't get me wrong a iOS app would be cool, but think of it from a business' side.
Hirering 1-2 people pr. App, and keeping them up2date, on a free product.
Yes they could charge money for the App, but how many would they sell?
At a price of $10 they need to sell around 2000 App's a month just for the iOS version.

But SMS on the Dude Server is needed :)

captain
just joined

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:38 am

Hi!
I use the Dude from version 2.0 - really great soft for me ... Allow me a few tips ...
Last time I needed functionality that is in version 4 could occur! ;-)
- Access settings for each user into individual maps and other items. Allow or not view, read, save ... It would be cool ... Each user would only see her.
- Saving window layout (desktop settings) would also be great! ;-) Also, meet ... ;-)
- Import / Export probes and functions would also fit ... :-\

jyny
just joined

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:33 pm

DUDE and WINBOX for ANDROID. Many people starting to have phones witch internet and android , i love to have dude running on my phone

matt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:38 pm

I would love to see Winbox for Android platform :)

Hotz1

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:30 am

Another vote for Android/box.

geoffsmith31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:12 am

1. Active Directory or RADIUS integration for The Dude logon
2. Ability to select different permissions for each sub-map, or perhaps each device. To allow delegated management to different parts of the network.
3. More than 2 layers. So you can have the status of a device on a Sub-Sub-Sub-map show through to the top layer.

A fantastic product! Thanks for developing it and making it free! How about Open Source as the next step (I'm sure it would lighten the development load).

altazar
just joined

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi there!

The first - I wanna thank you for your great program. Really! You did an excellent job.
I want to request few very practical new features:

1) Outages very usable feature and daily tool for me. Usually every day I revise activities of my colleagues from previous eight-hour shift. Some times it's very hard because it doesn't have any time filters. Also 'Remove Resolve' doesn't work.

2) If I disable service on some devices when it down, then this problem not leave 'Outages'.

3) Probably the idea of 'Ack'&'UnAck' feature was another, but I want to propose another feature: For example. If I send technician to solve known problem then and mark device as blue 'Ack' it would be great to know when he done the job and mark blue device as green.

My version The Dude-4.0beta2

With Best Regards,
Konstantins.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:37 am

Ack Unack is made exactly for the purpose you describe. This is to mark a known problem, and unmark it when it's fixed. It's to keep the device from sending alarms during fixing time.

geebs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:02 am

The voting page in the wiki hasn't been touched for months, so I assume it's not being looked at.

Once of the major things I would like to see would be some sort of backup facility for all RouterOS devices.
I simple click or schedule to get the configuration and store it on the server.
<device-name.cfg>

znet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Access to /dude1/ store on RouterOS

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:34 am

Need ability to acquire regularly exported maps when running Dude on RouterOS. I have talked with several MT personnel, and the TFTP transfers from the dude1 store just dont work in Dude4beta2. I eventually downgraded RouterOS to 4.16, but still didnt help, so its in the Dude code. The PDFs, etc are in the files menu, but might be able to be dragged and dropped, but need to programmatically send them to an external web server directory via some mechanism like tftp or fetch, but it just wont work on RouterOS. I can assure you I spent several days trying this, and I can get files from the RouterOS files menu back and forth, but the stores are off limits.

If the web implementation of the dude cant be group driven, so all users wont see all maps--otherwise a security violation-- the web version of the Dude is USELESS!

Thats why I must resort to a kluge like a regular scripted file transfer from a dude store on RouterOS--if it would work. Works on Win2K since you can point the web server to the folder where the exported files reside. Not a desirable solution. Either make the web based version able to be customized (4 year old request), or let us programmers fix it with code and send the files where we can display them to the right users. Dont want illiterate users access to device objects, just want to show them on a recurring basis whether their devices are up, and this powerful feature has been ignored for far too long... :shock:

Also, for good measure, the export of map files is hit and miss in Dude4beta2. Sometimes it works, sometimes a PDF just gives you a white square residing in a 1K file. jpeg files are the same. Seems like mature maps work more often then not, but the scaling on any images you use for your devices seems to default to 100%--obliterating other objects on the map, making them not usable. Have spent far too much wasted time trying to get a simple task accomplished which has been a request for a long time. I agree with the other poster regarding updating the feature requests. It works as good as the map exports....

One more thing....The export function for backup is very dangerous. I have managed to export a good tgz file quite a few times. However, be sure to have a good recent backup, because occaisonally it will entirely wipe out all the Dude data and maps---gone forever!

OK.....enough ranting, but give me some access to those stores, and a reliable backup and everything will be alright! 8)

altazar
just joined

Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Hello,
Ack Unack is made exactly for the purpose you describe. This is to mark a known problem, and unmark it when it's fixed. It's to keep the device from sending alarms during fixing time.
Actually it's not a same that i told you. Currently i have to do Unack manualy, but i wanted to have mode, when device will come back from Ack to normal mode automatically or to limit time of Ack mode. Cause I have alot of technical guys and they control and solving problem without me. One thing they cannot do - UnAck when they solve work.

Something like that.

anaktos

Thu May 26, 2011 4:35 pm

+SNMP Traps support

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 27, 2011 6:15 pm

I vote for better documentation for syntax for functions/probes/etc.

ibermi
just joined

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:53 am

Another vote for Android Dude-Winobox.

rhance
just joined

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Vote for SNMP Trap support. The originally wiki article appears locked from editing.

ibermi
just joined

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Have if it can run the option CCmail, which is included, but does not work, not send. This is the RB400 series (mipsbe).

wcfj
just joined

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:15 pm

- Mobile interface (iOs, Android, RIM), and/or much better web interface with emphasis on mobile devices and tablets.
- Better reporting ability. Currently I have years worth of history data that I have little to no usable access to. Being able to run SQL queries against the database would be useful also.
- More stable monitoring of SNMP services. For services I need to monitor with SNMP I get far too many false positives for monitoring to be truly relied upon (all monitoring on remote subnets are done with local agents).
- Decentralized Dude Server. I have a Primary server with several agents. However if my primary server goes down I loose all monitoring. I need some sort of clustering of primary server solution.

Duduhandelman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi All,
I would suggest to add a compression option on the connection option.
During the test I have noticed that monitoring 200 servers uses around 1Mbits between Dude and the Agent.
While doing the same test over SSH tunnel with compression the traffic use less than 200Kbps.

I think its very easy to implement.

Thanks for great software :o ...

tamilmaran
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:09 pm

dude in android app will be great...!!!

heviejob
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 pm

1. Please Dude on linux............................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
+1

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

ilnicchio
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:03 pm

Ability to select "Ricezione confermata" for only a specified amount of time like (1h, 4h,1d,1w, etc.).
This permit to keep track during the time of the failure of some device without lost someone in "ricezione confermata" status for years...

sb1349
just joined

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:14 pm

Something that would defiantly be helpful would be a setting where you would have the ability to cache equipment up/down notifications. Instead of every equipment down sending a separate email you set a timer where it caches the message for a user definable time and will send every piece of downed equipment in that time period as one notification. To be even more helpful every subsequent notification for new down equipment or equipment coming back online have a complete listing of what is down and separating out what is back online. This would keep my inbox from quickly overflowing every time a major storm comes though.

bperkic
just joined

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:18 pm

+1 Please ADD a SNMP TRAP support. A TRAP Listener!
+1 When Elements are on two maps, poll only once
+1 Ability to create maps for individual users or group access for each map, (maps per user/group).Also give the same rights to winbox login that user has in dude.
+1 Store both ends of link in map database (Switch port - Computer port)
+1 "Little Dude": Dude client interface for Mobile device such as symbian os60. (e.g. Nokia E90)
+1 Finer grained permissions. ie Granting read/write access to individual maps
+1 Ability to add "elbows" to Link Lines, allowing link lines to be routed around devices that are "in the way."
+1 Ability to trigger events on links predefined threshold.
+1 Ability to change where the Link Line "Snaps" to (Instead of Center-to-Center, allow corners/sides of device shapes).
+1 More variables/functions to work with. eg: HEX->DEC, LEFT$, RIGHT$, MID$, VAL, MAC-HEX->MAC-DEC etc.
+1 Enhancement to Link Settings to allow change (going RED) notification the same as Devices.
+1 Display value on chart while dragging vertical line across chart.
+1 Ability to change where the Rx/Tx Rates are displayed on a link line.
+1 Ability to add another link between two switches i.e. support dual trunks
+1 Ability to set up appearance of types of links (color and other properties)
+1 Ability to disable downtime alerts on transient network devices (i.e. no red status for client PC's that are shut down at night).
+1 On the map, drag with the mouse to create a box, the box stays as a background, give it a color, and a label to mark a segment of the map.
+1 Alarms for bandwidth utilization (%) on links that are being charted. For example if a link goes above 90% of a Max. Badnwidth variable (configured by user), the Dude sends an alarm.

EMOziko
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:19 am

Traffic flow analyser functionality (like ntop) will be great.

getshum
just joined

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:09 pm

I tried to register for the Wiki but can't see a register button.

More detail under the SNMP > Interface tab such as:

interface description
interface status (up/down)
speed/duplex settings

And something that would make it easier keeping track of links on a switch. Something like:

Allow a link to be created only once from a given device, to prevent duplication
Show the port number in the link box (above the throughput details)
When creating a link and selecting the master device, show the interfaces which already have links attached in red or something

Great software by the way, can't beat the price!

ZETA992
just joined

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Can you add clients to "dude/RouterOS devices/Wireless registration" from CapsMan's?

shiju22
just joined

Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:12 pm

is there any possibility of adding Dude WEB server that was a nice one dont know why its gone

meconiotronic

Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:51 am

Please finish command line support, many items are missing, once completed you would open up a wide range of possibilities with scripts. We may automatically add discoveries to our networks and create maps fully automatically.

challado

Fri May 26, 2023 4:59 pm

Please finish command line support, many items are missing, once completed you would open up a wide range of possibilities with scripts. We may automatically add discoveries to our networks and create maps fully automatically.
+1. Agree with you.

Rox169

Fri May 26, 2023 5:02 pm

DUDE is dead isnt it?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 26, 2023 6:19 pm

DUDE is dead isnt it?
Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man
—The Dude
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c )

Rox169

Tue May 30, 2023 2:12 pm

MT is developing new monitoring tool and they freeze development on Dude if Im not wrong. Is there any way to monitor in Dude router on which is Dude installed?

Thank you

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 30, 2023 3:48 pm

MT is developing new monitoring tool and they freeze development on Dude if Im not wrong.
I was joking, but that seems to be the reality. But ideally MT still fix bugs and/or make minor improvements in the shipping version...

Is there any way to monitor in Dude router on which is Dude installed?
You can add the dude router as device and monitor it. If you can't, perhaps firewall blocks winbox/etc ports?

Rox169

Tue May 30, 2023 3:55 pm

I will check the firewall but how can FW block ports when the dude is on that server? What shoul I allowed?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 30, 2023 4:25 pm

I will check the firewall but how can FW block ports when the dude is on that server? What shoul I allowed?
If you add your Dude as a device, at least ping should show up as probed service. If that does not work, something else is wrong.

But all Dude traffic still goes through the firewall. In newer configs, localhost/127.0.0.1 is specifically allowed, but older configs may not have that line.

Rox169

Tue May 30, 2023 11:11 pm

Hi,

status is unknown and Routeros can not connet even when is 127.0.0.1 allowed in firewall and ping is working. What could be problem?

Tnx

horasjey
just joined

Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:25 pm

+1 add this fitur please!

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:20 pm

status is unknown and Routeros can not connet even when is 127.0.0.1 allowed in firewall and ping is working. What could be problem?
Something in the firewall be my guess. ICMP should always be allowed by default, but if blocked that cause probe not work. If you able to ping, but not "connect" as a RouterOS device, I try an "accept" on TCP 8291 in firewall filter, with log enabled to find out the IP address Dude is using.