Community discussions

MikroTik App

Sanity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Please in the future remove DC Jack input...

Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:52 pm

.... seriously.

Remove it and add a USB port (USB-C) JUST for powering. And do not bother to provide a loading adapter in the box. Saves money and....

...follows the guidelines for phones, you know. Point is, that USB is well the standard for loading phones and because it is SO dominant, I now live in an apartment where basically every power socket in the walls a USB loader is integrated with 2 USB-A ports,

Phones now demand USB-C as powering standard and come without loading - because most people have them in boxes from past phones or, as I said, have them already in the power sockets.

DC Jacks are basically really outdated technology at this point.

And btw. - seriously consider whether Data Center level switches need dual power supplies. Like your CRS504-4XQ-IN - that thing is amazing. But why would a professional installation ever use a dual power supply? See, in many cases this is used in a data centre setup or backbone so far and that pretty much demands dual SWITCHES. A version with one power supply would be cheaper and SMALLER - maybe small enough to fit two into one rack side by side?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Please in the future remove DC Jack input...

Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:11 pm

USB type C max 5V and 3A (15W)

USB-PD increase that limit:

5, 9, 15, 20V... I do not see 12V, 24V or 48V...
And the components are more expensive and the connector is more fragile thath the Jack...

djdrastic

Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:20 pm

But why would a professional installation ever use a dual power supply?
Because we feed the device from 2 seperate UPS's or Incoming Circuit + ATS/Battery Backup to maximize uptime.
Trust me you don't want to relive the CCR1036 days where it came with 1x psu and that psu came with a design flaw ...

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:42 pm

...you don't want to relive the CCR1036 days where it came with 1x psu and that psu came with a design flaw...
Yes.... f#!!$$%%&&!
r2 have 2 psu, one (or both) can be replaced with -48V (or +48V) psu, for example

jspool

Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:15 pm

Greta, Maybe familiarize yourself with data centers and you will see that most have A+B power. Just because you lack understanding doesn't mean we all should devolve to your level.
If everyone felt woke like you the reliability of enterprise networks and the Internet would be greatly diminished due to the lack of redundancy. It's foolish to try to and change an industry you know nothing about.

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:12 pm

Because we feed the device from 2 seperate UPS's or Incoming Circuit + ATS/Battery Backup to maximize uptime.
Trust me you don't want to relive the CCR1036 days where it came with 1x psu and that psu came with a design flaw ...
In our datacenters, equipments that do not have dual PSU's are not even allowed.

clambert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:20 pm

Is this post a joke?

Dude2048
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:46 pm

… Nevermind

Sanity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:50 pm

That is an interesting idea, but there are a lot of scenarios where this redundancy is given by having 2 switches. And those are the scenarios I talk about. In that case, dual redundancy on the power supply side is not needed.

Sanity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:54 pm

USB-PD increase that limit:

5, 9, 15, 20V... I do not see 12V, 24V or 48V...
And the components are more expensive and the connector is more fragile thath the Jack...
That is well spoken - without any concept of reality. See, I am not talking of all equipment. Let's see. How often do you operate the power supply on a desktop switch? Never? Also, I am not sure where you get the 15w limit from. At least quote a lot of modern monitors support way more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#:~: ... pabilities.

The limit is neither 5W nor 3A - it is actually5A at 20V. 100W.

That is enough to run pretty much everything.

Sanity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:57 pm

In our datacenters, equipments that do not have dual PSU's are not even allowed.
I would not run around and talk about how incompetent I run my data centers. See, your LIGHTS have no PSU. Also, in any scenario I operate switches in the data center, I generally can switch one off - totally - and the traffic is rerouted. Dual switches - which then can go on 2 different power lines - achieve MORE than 2 PSU. A well designed PSU (and we can sort of start assuming that Mikrotik has now sorted out design flaws) is quite more reliable than most cooling fans.

In case of the samll 100g switch from Mikrotik - I would rather prefer being able to have 2 side by side than having to deal with 2 dual power supply setups.

Sanity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:58 pm

Greta, Maybe familiarize yourself with data centers and you will see that most have A+B power. Just because you lack understanding doesn't mean we all should devolve to your level.
If everyone felt woke like you the reliability of enterprise networks and the Internet would be greatly diminished due to the lack of redundancy. It's foolish to try to and change an industry you know nothing about.
Ok, back to school - tell them you fail basic logic.

I love a+b power. ONE Switch on A, one switch on B, both working fully redundant.

And your foolishness is most exposed by your approach to logic.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:19 pm

Who knew male-female coupling could cause such a ruckus.

I guess some future refresh of the mAP's, USB-C make sense there.
But seriously, doesn't the RB5009 meet your needs? While not USB-C... It's tiny and with passive PoE ways to eke out more distance. USB-C doesn't go very far compared with PoE ethernet.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:07 pm

@santy, you read my post and what you cite???

rextended code

USB-PD increase that limit: [...]

wikipedia code

USB 3.0/3.1/3.2
[...]
VBUS and GND provide 5 V up to 900 mA, in accordance with the USB 3.1 specification.
A specific USB-C mode may also be entered, where 5 V at either 1.5 A or 3 A is provided.
A third alternative is to establish a Power Delivery contract.
[...]

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:15 pm

Ok, back to school - tell them you fail basic logic.
There are too many people referring to themselves on third person here on the forum.
Teach us also your Revealed Truth, I will remain in the shadows.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:10 pm

Tell me you have zero telecom/ISP experience without saying you have zero telecom/ISP experience. More particularly, that you've never built a network serving hundreds or thousands of customers where uptime is paramount and conditions are harsh.

Only a tiny fraction of MikroTik's products are intended for consumer/SOHO installations or other niche cases where USB power might be ubiquitous.

Any variation of USB has no place in data centers or at towers, carrier huts, and remote site enclosures where most power is converted to 12V, 24V, or 48V DC for batteries, and equipment is then powered right off the batteries. The fact that I can use bare wires, POE injectors, or a stupid simple round jack, on each and every device, and not have to worry about which version of a connector is currently "cool" saves me time and money. Upgrading gear is a piece of cake. It's also trivial to mod a CCR or CRS to run right off of one or two fused 12V power sources and bypass the AC supplies altogether.

I love my redundant powering options and use them everywhere they're available. I'm in the process of upgrading most of my customer-facing sites to provide some form of power redundancy to the wireless equipment. Since most of the gear is on a roof or tower, redundant power allows me to change electrical circuits, upgrade UPS's, switch to generators, swap power supplies, or do anything else electrical during the day when it's safe (i.e. I'm wide awake and have plenty of daylight).

I wish more of my gear had built-in redundancy, particularly my POE switches (including those made by MikroTik *cough*).

I'd be happy to take you on a tour of "professional" installations where there are plenty of singular devices of all sizes connected to redundant power. Redundant power supplies are much cheaper than redundant everything. And in most cases, two of everything is not only impractical, it's impossible.

Oh, and DC jacks/plugs are cheap and not encumbered by (political) standards.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:52 pm

USB-PD needs quite complicated logic to provide more power than a regular USB. That logic comes with a cost.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:19 pm

DC jack is just no nonsense connector... and if anyone wants to use USB-C to power the device, adapter from USB-C to DC jack that negotiates voltage costs <$2 on aliexpress. Really, it's that simple to use USB-C to power Mikrotik products if you want.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:03 pm

Also,

In the 500+ homes and businesses I've been in the last 24 months to do Internet work, including 50 homes built in that timeframe, a whopping 0% had USB ports embedded in their outlets where I plugged in the customer's radio and/or router. In other words, the included power bricks get used all the time.

(Now, at my tower sites, most included power supplies don't get used because I have POE switches. Thus, I have thrown out boxes full of brand new power adapters. But it's hard for any vendor to know exactly who's going to buy what products and where they're going to use them. The cost benefit analysis of including vs. selling power supplies separately likely shows it's more costly on the whole to not include them.)

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:29 pm

.... seriously.
No.