Community discussions

MikroTik App

jeffafisher
just joined
Topic Author

Help bridging to remote workshop

Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:21 pm

Hello All.
I'm still new to networking and trying to learn as much as I can. I'm trying to build out a test Mikrotik setup to learn. While doing that I've come across what I thought would be simple but the more I read it seems that with the equipment I have it won't be possible without some small purchases.

I've come across this post.
viewtopic.php?t=160779
and the linked post
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Bridging ... s_with_SXT

My question becomes this. Since I don't have all the Mikrotik gear yet would this still work in a setup where I go from ISP modem -> non-mikrotik router -> SXT bridge -> SXT station bridge -> unmanged switch -> other wired devices (pc, roku, etc.)

Currently the non-mirotik router is what most home users. Something from asus, netgear, linksys, etc. I want to get more control which is why I'm on this learning path. If this will work will the DHCP server from the router assign addresses to whatever is attached to the switch through the SXT bridge? I can also use something other than the unmanaged switch if that won't work, I just need to know what would make sense and a basic idea of how it would be configured.

Thank you so much for any information.
Jeff