Community discussions

MikroTik App

herger
Topic Author

CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe silent fan mod

Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:26 am

I've recently received my CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe and i'm gonna tell you this thing is a blast! There is just one tiny little non-technical problem with it and that is its WAF (the famous wife acceptance factor), which is pretty low given that this thing is like a turbine. Once it takes a little notch (lets say 1-2 gbits of traffic) it'll sound like its gonna take of. Therefore, I decided to modify mine just a little bit to get the WAF up. Here is what i did, maybe the one or the other married reader wants to follow along:
- First you need to remove the heat sink from the board. Keep your thermal paste at hand, as you'll have to replace the one under the heat sink.
- Then i removed the stock fan from the board. Quite easy, just unscrew.
- Next is the disassembly of the heat sink itself. Its two separate parts hold by a few screws and we'll replace the top part.
- Off to the printer: I printed two plastic pieces, a replacement top part of the heat sink to mount the new fans on and a second part to close the giant hole for the stock fan.
- All that follows is mounting our new, super silent fans to the printed top cover and reassembly in the reverse order, let me give you some pictures:
1.png
2.png
- Then I closed the giant hole in the bottom of the heat sink to optimize air flow
3.png
- And finally mount the heat sink back to the board (don't forget your thermal paste!) and some (not yet perfect) cable management. I didn't want to shorten the cables right away before i haven't tested this actually works.
4.png

So, summa summarum, after this modifications the WAF is rose extraordinarily, as the little CCR is inaudible! Temperatures are also looking good, as can be seen on this screenshot done after over an hour of stressing the CPU:
Screenshot_2022-07-07_23-42-19.png
E voilà there you have it, a silent fan mod for the amazing CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe silent fan mod

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:37 am

nice mod 8)

wick
just joined

Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:16 pm

Would you be willing to throw your print design up on thingverse or similar? I find myself in a similar situation with WAF...

Actually - since you took your old fan off - what size is it? It looks like a de-shrouded NF-A4x10 PWM might simply swap in place?

trashtomic
just joined

Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:29 pm

Old thread, but I'd really appreciate the design files as well since this card is unbearably loud for my living room.

herger
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:02 am

Here are the STL files for the two parts.

Have fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trashtomic
just joined

Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:55 pm

Thank you so much. I'm currently printing the parts.
Looking forward to finally getting to use the card properly :)