Community discussions

MikroTik App

indrafreaks71
just joined
Topic Author

POE OUT issue on ether5 rb760igs (no power)

Wed May 27, 2020 5:00 pm

Hello,
I have a cap ac2 connected on ether-5 on rb760igs. the cap ac2 is powered by the POE of this port (default poe setting is forced on). All was working fine
After power loss today my cap ac2 did'nt power on.

no power on poe out ether-5 on rb760igs (red led not on), but the settings on ether 5 poe show powered on

I retrieved the POE injector provided with the cap ac2 and connected it.
The cap ac2 started working.

any solution for this issue ?
[admin@RBSUKASIRNAHOTSPOT] > /interface ethernet poe print 
 # NAME                                           POE-OUT   POE-VOLTAGE POE-PRIORITY POWER-CYCLE-PING-ENABLED POWER-CYCLE-INTERVAL                                          
 0 ether5-depan                                   forced-on                       10 no                       none                                                          
[admin@RBSUKASIRNAHOTSPOT] > 
health.png
poe issue.png
photo6231197523394013547.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kanta
just joined

Re: POE OUT issue on ether5 rb760igs (no power)

Wed May 27, 2020 5:43 pm

Enable poe in long cable on the cap.

/interface ethernet poe settings
set ether1-poe-in-long-cable=yes

MrSmersh
just joined

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:42 am

Had same problem...
Spend a week on it (it was a bit more annoying)
If a power cycle does not help.

Solution:
  • make all the good settings (forced on etc)
  • connect your poe client
  • shutdown the router (maybe a reboot before )
  • unplug the router
  • drink a coffee/tea etc
  • plug the router
  • enjoy
Still Mikrotik peoples, improper shutdown should not do something like these.... Because even if possible at UPS shutdown signal to be notified the router to shutdown, when power on network should be the first up.

indrafreaks71
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:20 pm

Had same problem...
Spend a week on it (it was a bit more annoying)
If a power cycle does not help.

Solution:
  • make all the good settings (forced on etc)
  • connect your poe client
  • shutdown the router (maybe a reboot before )
  • unplug the router
  • drink a coffee/tea etc
  • plug the router
  • enjoy
Still Mikrotik peoples, improper shutdown should not do something like these.... Because even if possible at UPS shutdown signal to be notified the router to shutdown, when power on network should be the first up.
Hi, sorry for late reply.
After follow your steps the poe out it's working again (the red led is on again)
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

codelogic
just joined

Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:28 pm

Thank you both for confirming this behavior!

I also have the exact problem on my HexS/RB760iGS; a short or momentary power failure/outage causes the PoE output to stop working. See my previous post here, where some others suggested an RMA: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162610

The workaround is the same for me - I have to unplug the HexS for some minutes and then plug it back in to get the port 5 PoE output to start working again. An uneducated guess on my part would be something capacitor related; maybe MikroTik will see this post and do some kind of hardware/firmware update to fix it.

Since you both confirm this same problem, should all three of us RMA ??

It's very frustrating that you need to physically visit and unplug the router for minutes to fix it... especially if the PoE output is powering your WiFi AP (which I imagine is a very large use case for this model).

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:01 am

Ok, so apparently is a bug of ROS.

I suggest to you contacting directly with Mikrotik Support opening a new case. Explain the problem and the solution to fix the problem. So, is probably to on next version of ROS, it will be fixed. I suggest that send rif files after and before workaround. As addition, if is possible to add to DMZ your device on your firewall for future debugging from Mikrotik support, but, do it when they probably will need it.

Regards.

codelogic
just joined

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:20 am

Here's my update for this issue. Have been advised by support to RMA my original Hex S. It turns out that the initial production of RB760iGS/Hex S has this problem, and also specifically will tell you that PoE "auto-on" setting is not supported should you try to enable it on the interface.

I've purchased a new Hex S which now *does* support the PoE auto-on setting and also definitely *does NOT* exhibit my original problem. The PoE output now works consistently when set to "forced on" every time this new Hex S boots, regardless of power loss or what have you.

If you have recently purchased a Hex S that has these PoE problems, and want the PoE output to work consistently and/or need the PoE auto-on feature, RMA your device. Assuming it's still under warranty, that is - my RMA was denied since I bought it well over a year ago. Now I'm stuck with the bad router, but will simply use it for experiments or testing as it works OK besides the PoE problems.

Note that I did disassemble both of these routers for inspection and there are obvious changes to the hardware to correct the PoE problems - most notably a completely different relay, capacitor and some minor circuit design changes.

Happy routing everyone :)

romolux
just joined

Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:35 pm

For those facing this issue with a brand new rb760igs - like myself- and ended up in this thread from Dec.2022 onwards, it seems the solution is setting POE-Out mode to "forced on".

My case is:
  • TP-Link EAP610 is connected to ether5
    Script to reboot the router, and consequently the EAP, from time to time
Problem: POE-Out was set to "auto on", which was not bringing the EAP back to life. Just setting it to "forced on" worked like a charm.

Best