Community discussions

MikroTik App

cjkbuckeye
just joined
Topic Author

New setup, need to setup pass through / bridge for FW

Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:52 pm

Hello, I'm new here, and pretty new to Microtik as well.

I work for an MSP and one of my customers just got a Microtik CCR 2004 - 16G device, it's plugged into their comcast fiber "radiant box". We had a sonicwall plugged into the cable modem before and have remote user VPN setup on it. I got the LAN online user DHCP for the sonicwall WAN, but now it's setup behind the Microtik unit and not directly on the edge network, I need to get a public IP assigned to the firewall in this new configuration ( we have a block of static IP's )

I can't find where to do it but I need a WAN passthrough mode to allow the Sonicwall to "pass through" the microtik or a bridge mode as some cable modems call it. Please let me know if someone has done this before! thanks :)

B20016
just joined

Re: New setup, need to setup pass through / bridge for FW

Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:29 pm

To configure a WAN passthrough mode or bridge mode on the MikroTik CCR2004-16G device, you will need to follow these steps:

Navigate to the "Interface" tab and click on the "WAN" interface.

In the "General" tab, select the "PPPoE Client" protocol.

Enter your Comcast login credentials in the "User" and "Password" fields.

Click on the "Advanced" tab and select the "Bridge" mode in the "PPPoE Client Mode" dropdown menu.

Click the "Apply" button to save the changes.
With these steps, the MikroTik device will be configured as a bridge, allowing the Sonicwall firewall to pass through and obtain a public IP from Comcast's network.

Keep in mind that you may need to configure the Sonicwall firewall to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server on the Comcast network. You may also need to set up port forwarding or NAT rules on the MikroTik device to allow traffic to pass through to the Sonicwall firewall.