Community discussions

MikroTik App

Megabolod
just joined
Topic Author

Rb2011 as switch

Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:58 pm

Hello! A complete noob here. Greatly appreciated if anyone can explain in a step by step way considering they are explaining to a cucumber!

I have an RB2011 which hasn't been opened yet. I need to use this as a switch to connect to 2 routers in 2 different locations (apartments). The connection will come via a fiber optic connection (ONU) to the switch to the apartments via 2 ethernet cables. How do I set it up in the most efficient way? One of the concern is that the mikrotik will be located at the main switchboard of the building which is just beside the parking lot and my concern is if anyone can connect to the net using one of the ports (or even change settings!) so I would also like to make sure that doesn't happen. Thanks

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Rb2011 as switch

Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:04 pm

I used to have one of these RB2011 units. Really cool hardware for its time. The most efficient way may not be possible. What do you mean by efficiency? Speed, security, or logical sense? You can't have all three with this unit! A clue to design is looking at the block diagram. Ports 1 through 5 are on a totally different switch for example.

Create a diagram of your network. You may find it more reasonable to use another hardware unit from MikroTik.