Community discussions

MikroTik App

Danny666
just joined
Topic Author

Omnitik 5 AC wide coverage

Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:51 am

Hello,
I think that I have bought wrong device for my purpose. I switched from LTE Mikrotik to Starlink and needed new routerboad. As I had eth cable and mount on roof I bouht Omnitik 5 AC so I have wide internet around house. Is it somehow configurable this way ? I have no-country set and manual-tx limit so it should run on max power but still my phone get signal on 40 meters direct line of sight and then connection is lost. I have no need for wifi speed as my plan was just to cover blind spots for music stream. Also I live on countryside so no wifi except mine

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Omnitik 5 AC wide coverage

Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:02 pm

The range you're getting is "about right". Omnitik 5ac has a pretty high-gain antenna (7.5 dBi is a lot for omni-directional antenna), but for long range also the link partner needs good antenna ... and antennae in mobile phones are usually only mediocre. Add the fact that Tx power of phones might be lower than that of AP and it becomes clear that wireless connection breaks due to inabilities of wireless clients. No amount of increasing Tx power on AP will improve that.

The only thing you can do is make sure you're using frequency channel with least interference ... and measure it both by AP and using mobile (interference might be stronger on one of points).

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:22 am

That damned wifi paradox of TX power of high gain antenna AP under regulated conditions.
Mostly legislation limits the EIRP transmit power, and that is the TX transmit power limit is in the strongest direction, it is lower in the other directions.
Transmit power strength is like a donut arround the Omnitik AC antenna. This should be OK for your case, unless the receiver is just below under the Omnitik (there is the lowest signal strength)
IF EIRP of the set regulatory domain is limiting the power, then the antenna gain is not helping for a stronger transmitted signal.

The benefit is the 7.5dBi ampification of the received signal from the phone at the Omnitik 5 AC.
Check registration table when connecting to another MT as station (then it gives both send and receive values).

Avoid tweaks like configuring data rates and only using faster 'basic rates'. Keep 6Mbps enabled!
Also check the reason for the disconnect in the Omnitik LOG.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:58 am

I have no-country set and manual-tx limit so it should run on max power
No-country set is using the FCC frequencies and EIRP levels. This is not what is used in e.g. Europe (ETSI regulation).
If you are not in an FCC region (but something like ETSI) , the smartphone will search for other frequencies than FCC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

What does ROS use here? Check!
in CLI check "interface wireless info country-info" or "interface wireless info country-list"
Klembord-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.