Community discussions

MikroTik App

kubah
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik hAP ax3 - only one quick set mode

Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:46 am

Hi, I have problem with quick set on my hAP ax3. When i reset my mikrotik to default configuration from factory I can choose on menu only one quick set preset.
On the old Mikrotik ac2 I had more options, why Mikrotik ax3 doesn't have them?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik hAP ax3 - only one quick set mode

Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:52 pm

Clearly the Polish model assumes a smart population that doesnt bother with the dummy quickset options, in fact it was almost removed entirely for productd sent to the Warsaw distribution centre. ;-)

No idea, just take the default setting available and go straight to winbox to config the rest.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:23 pm

Well, they are closer to the preferred ZERO Quick Set options. As anav said, fire up WinBox and config as needed.

edqd
just joined

Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:03 pm

Same here -- on ac3 there are 7 presets:

on ax3 there is only a single one.
Last edited by edqd on Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:10 pm

model ax3 is for eXperienced as X states :) :)

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:28 pm

If one needs to use quickset, one shouldn't be using Mikrotik ;-)

edqd
just joined

Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:05 pm

If one read the post, he would notice the problem is not about missing competence, but of a lacking convenience :wink: I was looking to do a quick CAPsMAN config but I don't see it anywhere inside WinBox. I'm having a trouble looking up more on this subject -- is the support still in works or was it dropped altogether? Thanks!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:09 pm

I was looking to do a quick CAPsMAN config
It's been said that ax devices require running wifiwave2 driver, I'm assuming your hAP ax3 does as well. Which leads to next bit of information: CAPsMAN support in wifiwave2 is only just coming in v7.7rc ... and comes with a few gotchas (e.g. it's compatible only with new generation of CAPsMAN server which is only just coming ... in v7.7rc :wink: ).

So you'll have to wait a release or two, then you'll have your CAP quickset profile available.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:09 pm

You have a capaX3 ???

Take one port off the bridge and use if it for config - viewtopic.php?t=181718
Then config the device as WLAN in ROS - viewtopic.php?t=182276

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:00 am

... but of a lacking convenience :wink: ...
Convenience is not a "friendly word" for admins. Expect doing things the hard way :)

edqd
just joined

Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:01 pm

Convenience is not a "friendly word" for admins. Expect doing things the hard way :)
Sorry i did not mean to hurt any admins feeling :) i'll behave better next time

So you'll have to wait a release or two, then you'll have your CAP quickset profile available.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was searching and couldn't find. In the meantime I wrote myself a handy .rsc script to streamline the setup on all the routers and I'll upgrade once the version is available.
Thanks again!

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:42 pm

Just got my first hap ax3 and I don't have a problem using winbox to configure it but as others wrote it's about convenience since I really just need an AP. (I would prefer a CAP but as I'm still running non-wifiwave devices I will go without the C first).

But anyway, that being said:
Now there is CAPsMAN for wifiwave2, we are on version 7.10.2 and it's still the same. Will it change at any point at all?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:56 pm

For CAP mode, just press the reset button at power on for about 10s and it will enter caps mode.
Or use System / reset configuration, check CAPS mode and then reset.

More then one way to skin a cat ...
(and I am sure Rex will come in shortly with an appropriate picture :lol: )

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:28 pm

First the LED will flash (reset) and if reset held in it will go solid - that's CAPsMAN mode. Let go at that point. If you leave it longer, it goes into Netinstall mode.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:32 pm

It's been said that ax devices require running wifiwave2 driver.....

The roadmap for AC/AX and wifi etc has so many on and off ramps and intersections, one gets dizzy trying to navigate it all.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:39 pm

First occurrence of ROS6 was in 2013. It's at 6.49.8.

ROS7 with Wifiwave2 is out since dec 2021. That's not even 2 years (testing about 6 months before that ?)
AX line since beginning of this year (about ) ?
It's coming to 7.11 now.
Give it some time to mature further.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:44 pm

I didnt give birth to the products, nor were they adopted..... I expect COTS not beta ;-PPP

wimrutten222
just joined

Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:45 pm

i have a similar problem with my HAP AC2 RDB52G.
My router had the problem that after a power loss, the router didn't start correctly (also with winbox it wasn't seen). So I had to reset the router with the reset button to start with default config. After that with winbox I restored my config and after a reboot all OK, until the next power loss.
I decided to restore the routerOS with netinstall. Unfortunately i used the package 7.15beta8 Testing for routerOSv7. After installing and rebooting everything worked fine, only on the first page with winbox i can only select "ethernet" in the quick set drop box. And not as i was used 8 options (home mesh, home ap, cap, etc etc). I thought that the problem was with the beta version, so I net-installed again the routerOS, now with version 7.14.1. Then I restored my config file, however the options in the quick set drop box, don't show up. Only the ethernet option is available. The router is working normally, only because is is setup as a home mesh system with 3 other hap lite as CAP i am confused if there is still something missing. (i tried to netinstall the extra packages, but netinstall says on all the names "missing system".

Thanks for an answer

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:41 pm

My new-ish hAP ax2 only has one quick set as well - Home AP Dual

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:44 pm

Despite 6 months passing since my last response in this thread, quicksets are still largely missing for everything AX/wave2-related :shock:

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:50 pm

i have a similar problem with my HAP AC2 RDB52G.
I decided to restore the routerOS with netinstall.
...however the options in the quick set drop box, don't show up. ...

Thanks for an answer
Since you netinstalled that device, chances are you forgot wireless package (required since 7.13 on legacy wifi devices).
Add that package, then reset again to default config (you can also do it in one sweep with netinstall, providing both packages as to be installed).
I think you will see those quicksets again...

Then I restored my config file,
What exactly do you mean here ?
WHAT config file ? Never restore a binary backup from a previous version.
If it's the text export, that should work (but piece by piece since some default values will already be present).

wimrutten222
just joined

Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:46 pm

OK, thanks for the answer. I resetted the device, again i installed routeros together with the WIFI package. rebooted and IT WORKS !!!
and yes i restored my binary config file (because i have a lot of netspecific config in it) I didn't want to lose it....
I presumed that the binary config file is always backwards compatible, thus you can restore an older binary config file into a newer FW. I can image that the other way ( a new binary config file to an older FW) may give problems.....
To do the text import is quite time consuming (I have about 250 lines...)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:51 pm

Your assumptions are wrong.

A binary copy can normally only be restored on the exact same device with exact the same version.

You can get away with restore on other device but same model, but even then you may run into problems since also all MAC addresses will be taken over from old device. So best not to do that.

250 lines of config is not that much.

wimrutten222
just joined

Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:12 am

OK,
thats clear. So if i do a binary backup, it is a good idea to store the version of routerOS together with it.
I can legally do updates of SW on the device, but in case of a netinstall, I first should install the stored routerOS version which is compatible with the binary backup file. Then restore the binary config file, and then do a router OS version upgrade to the latest version?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:22 am

Legally you can even put that device in your fire place if you want :lol:
(on second thought, probably not ... use proper channels to reduce e-waste / pollution)

All kidding aside, that should indeed be a safe approach.
At which point I wonder what the benefit is versus manually bringing over the config to a new device (fresh or netinstall) ...

I prefer the approach of bringing over config via terminal since it allows me to see what is in the old config and I can see what's the default of the "new" device (hence I can make a decision NOT to bring over some settings).

Keep in mind new default settings are only applied on a new/fresh install. When you upgrade, those new defaults are usually not applied.

wimrutten222
just joined

Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:11 pm

OK, thanks a lot for your answers. :D I already started the manual aproach...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:22 pm

Quickset should only have one mode, the one that is for absolute beginners and the default use of this product. For hAP that would be the "home AP" mode. All other modes, like P2P bridge are for advanced users anyway and those users can / should do manual configuration.

StupidProgrammer
just joined

Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:30 pm

Quickset should only have one mode, the one that is for absolute beginners and the default use of this product. For hAP that would be the "home AP" mode. All other modes, like P2P bridge are for advanced users anyway and those users can / should do manual configuration.

I have an Audience. It's maybe the absolutest beginnerest device Mikrotik has, and it's meant for meshing I guess (in my case, it's meant for WAF). It has a whole bunch of quickset modes. I think it defaults to "home mesh", even though it's not very likely to even be meshed at all. It's a wi-fi piece of furniture for your (and mine) living room.

I also have an ax3. It has only one mode. That's fine I guess.

The problem is that the quickset window *shows useful data* to beginners (such as signal strength graphs, for example), but as soon as you step out of the default, the window goes crazy and loses information. My Audience is now "CAP" in quickset (?), and there's a red "IP 0.0.0.0" entry. It's not a CAP, it's not a mesh, it's attached to the ax3 as a station pseudobridge using only the 2.4 GHz radio (5 GHz is disabled).

Why can't I have a nice little window that shows me useful things on my Audience? I can switch it to "home AP dual" - which it isn't, but at least it shows me info, I just need to keep in mind not to OK/apply it.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:34 pm

yes, well that is one step further. if you don't use the "one default quickset mode", then quickset should be disabled, so that there is no confusion like you describe. but that is just my opinion. we are still debating how it should be done. there is a lot of strong opinions on this forum about quickset.

StupidProgrammer
just joined

Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:24 am

Can you at least make quickset remember its last setting?

When I connect to my Audience, it starts with CPE, then switches to Home Mesh, then goes to CAP. It all happens in half a second and I can see it cycling through.

What I have is closest to Home AP Dual. It's not *that*, but it shows very useful info - one that is *not* available at short glance in any other of the 150 possible windows, unless it's a combination of 20 of them that I somehow have to fit on the screen.

Or just provide windows with useful info... and non-quickset checkboxes and buttons that are applicable to and irrelevant to whatever the quickset mode is.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:34 am

A binary copy can normally only be restored on the exact same device with exact the same version.

You can get away with restore on other device but same model, but even then you may run into problems since also all MAC addresses will be taken over from old device. So best not to do that.

250 lines of config is not that much.
Last night I restored a backup taken on a CCR1036-8G-2S+ to a CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+

It worked but wasn't really pretty, it really messed up the interfaces.. But my goal was to keep the users since they can't be exported.. After a bit of messing around I realized I wouldn't be able to recover and get a working system from it, I reset it keeping the users. I still consider it a success.. ;)

I just looked at my .rsc export.. 1281 lines..