Community discussions

MikroTik App

l000pz
just joined
Topic Author

LHG vs LHGG

Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:01 pm

So i moved into the countryside to find out the beauty of having no reception and extremely limited connection options. The closes towers are around 3-5km away and signal is shaky.
Ive ended up with only option of LHG but keep reading people complaining that 100 interface in LHG is a bottleneck and should go with LHGG - is it possible to get speeds over 100 on 4g (Ply Poland) in the countryside?
In the last report Play is the best operator in Poland with average speed of 42,1 Mbit/s - so I'm a bit confused how is 100mb interface is a problem.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: LHG vs LHGG

Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:09 pm

If you don't have a signal in your phone (or it's bad), it means that with LHG it will be better, but VERY UNLIKELY 100Mbit or more.
The difference is not that crazy.

BitHaulers
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: LHG vs LHGG

Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:03 pm

It totally depends on the tower, if it's upgraded, what frequencies it uses, etc.

I have places that are 8 miles from a tower, and the phones don't work well in the house. But 200ft away from the house, there's a spot on the property that gets out of the trees and can hit a mountain tower and get over 100Mbps down on mid bands, that aren't visible by a phone inside, due to trees/building. This is with a 5ft pole. If I mounted on the top of the house, I still wouldn't be able to see it because of the trees. So, going sideways, instead of up, was the solution.

You have dozens of variables you'll have to work through. You will have to educate yourself and understand things on a technical level. Any "Plug and Play" situation that works out with an LHG or equivalent equipment is an outlier.