Community discussions

MikroTik App

Awang
just joined
Topic Author

RB750gr3 bricked after failed upgrade

Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:59 pm

Hello, I just did a stupid thing to my mikrotik router. So here's a story time :
I use Android Winbox to login into the router, and see a message telling me to upgrade RouterOS 7.6. I clicked that, then upgrade process begun.
My phone's screen turned off and locked automatically, when I unlock it I see no upgrade progress in Winbox, so I assume upgrade suceed. (It was just less than 5 minutes after I clicked upgrade)
Then I looked to my router, I noticed that no single LED turned on (I can't see power LED because it's covered by cables and stuff), so I thought the router needs power cycle, so I unplugged the adapter and plugged back in.
The router turned on, ethernet LEDs starts blinking, but then it reset itself over and over again. Then I immediately realized that I just did a stupid thing.

Tried powering on the router while holding reset button to boot into backup bootloader, but it looks like nothing happened, and the device just boot loop again
Tried holding reset button then release when led blinking to reset configuration, nothing happen and it keeps restarting like before
As the last resort I tried Netinstall, following every steps in the wiki, but Netinstall app did not detect the router.
I confirmed there's nothing wrong with the ethernet ports, since the router worked without problem before upgrade.
I also tried Netinstall in 2 different computers, to no avail.

I am thinking to flash the firmware directly using SPI but can't found any tutorial about it.
I have AVR ISP in hand, just don't know what software I should use to flash the firmware.

If anyone have a clue where I did wrong, please tell me, any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB750gr3 bricked after failed upgrade

Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:04 am

you should be able to get netinstall working, make sure the static ip on your pc and the ip that you give to the netinstall program are on the same broadcast domain as the address you give to netinstall is actualy handed out to the device you are netinstalling.
The other thing to make note is to disable the firewall as well as any virtual switches(i just disable all virtual interfaces) installed on your pc.
Last thing is there is a common bug where the device will shop up on the netinstall window but when you click install it just hangs then goes back to ready, if you experience this all you need to do is open then close the program again, there is no need to go through the whole process again :)

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:16 am

put a dumb switch between your PC and MikroTik ROuter, that can help to make Netinstall see the router to recover

dont forget to disconnect PC from any other network connection including virtual interfaces

Awang
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:29 am

you should be able to get netinstall working, make sure the static ip on your pc and the ip that you give to the netinstall program are on the same broadcast domain as the address you give to netinstall is actualy handed out to the device you are netinstalling.
The other thing to make note is to disable the firewall as well as any virtual switches(i just disable all virtual interfaces) installed on your pc.
Last thing is there is a common bug where the device will shop up on the netinstall window but when you click install it just hangs then goes back to ready, if you experience this all you need to do is open then close the program again, there is no need to go through the whole process again :)
Yes I already disabled any interface, like wifi, bluetooth, VPN, except 1 Ethernet that are connected to the bricked router.
For the IP, I followed the wiki exactly as is, set my pc to 192.168.88.2, set the gateway to mikrotik default IP, 192.168.88.1
put a dumb switch between your PC and MikroTik ROuter, that can help to make Netinstall see the router to recover

dont forget to disconnect PC from any other network connection including virtual interfaces
Ah I don't have switch, can I use ISP router for that? (The one that has switch, AP, and PON built in)

------

I have one question, do mikrotik normally reboot if no command / action given when it's in netinstall mode?
Because my router always restarts even though I keep pressing the reset button and supposedly enter netinstall mode

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:55 am

Ah I don't have switch, can I use ISP router for that?
Better don't. The best scenario is if only router being netinstalled and your PC (running netinstall) are members of network ... router, after it boots into netinstall mode, sends out standard BOOTP and TFTP queries and it's not good if any other device (but your PC) answers those queries.

do mikrotik normally reboot if no command / action given when it's in netinstall mode?
No, if router successfully enters netinstall mode, it stays in that mode until netinstall "server" (application on your PC) successfully establishes connection. If your router seems to be rebooting, then it doesn't enter netinstall mode. Sometimes it's pretty hard to get device into that mode, sequence of button press and application of power is essential (if you do it wrong, it can enter some other mode, such as CAP mode, it may reset config or something entirely different).

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:02 am

I'll throw in a vote for using Linux to netinstall :lol:

If the device does not enter netinstall mode, just keep pressing the reset button until it appears in whatever environment you use for netinstall.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:11 pm

do mikrotik normally reboot if no command / action given when it's in netinstall mode?
No, if router successfully enters netinstall mode, it stays in that mode until netinstall "server" (application on your PC) successfully establishes connection. If your router seems to be rebooting, then it doesn't enter netinstall mode. Sometimes it's pretty hard to get device into that mode, sequence of button press and application of power is essential (if you do it wrong, it can enter some other mode, such as CAP mode, it may reset config or something entirely different).
This is unfortunately incorrect, if the router does not receive a DHCP response after some time it will give up and continue with a regular boot.