Community discussions

MikroTik App

N1TROHAT
just joined
Topic Author

SwOS and VLAN Setup

Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:44 pm

Hi,

I was tired of my cheap switch with crappy interface, lack of documentation and the difficulty with setting up VLANS and have decided to buy CSS610 as it have a nice and clear interface, is well documented and have active forum for support :mrgreen:

I'm posting this thread as I need guidance with setting up VLANs in SwOS. I already have a 3rd party router setup with the VLAN Link, Access Point with multiple VLANs assigned to SSIDs and couple of devices that need to be connected directly via ethernet to a specific VLAN. What remains is to setup the CSS610 switch and link everything together to get it working.

From what I understand, I need to:
  • For the VLAN Link I need to assign a VLAN 1 and select "any" in the VLAN tab at the top to let all the traffic pass through ? Do I change anything in VLAN Mode where it states "Optional" by default ? Then in the VLANs tab I make all the VLANs a member on the port that the VLAN Link is connected to pass the traffic through to my router.

• I then setup ethernet VLANs by inserting a VLAN ID in the VLAN tab but do I leave "optional" and "any" options selected or do I change something here ? Then I make them a member of the VLAN Link and also its own port where the devices are physically connected to in the VLANs tab.
  • I also need to manually insert all the individual VLANs in VLANs tab and make them members of the appropriate ports as described above.
  • As I understand is that VLAN 1 shouldn't be used for anything other than management of the switch/network but from my research online it looks like most people assign this VLAN ID either on the VLAN Link or being a part of all the ports because without it there is no traffic going through, so what's up with that, apparently this VLAN ID is not secure and shouldn't be used like this ? For the VLAN Link, do I need to use VLAN 1 or can I select a random one ?

I got it so far or so I think :)

What I will have the most trouble with is setting up the Trunk Port for my access point as when I read the Wiki Page with examples I got too confused, so:

I have tried to insert all the VLANs that Access Point is using into Default VLAN ID section in VLAN tab but it doesn't allow me to insert multiple VLAN IDs which is the port that Access Point is connected to. Do I just use the same VLAN ID as on my VLAN Link and select "Any" to let all the traffic be pushed through to the VLAN Link then manually insert all Access Point VLANs in VLANs tab and make them member of VLAN Link port and then the port that the Access Point is connected to ? If not, how do I set up a trunking port correctly for my access point ?

The last question is, how do I make sure that I can manage the switch when its connected to the router ?

It would also be wonderful if I could get some screenshots to provide the visual representation if that's not too much to ask for.

I appreciate the help.