Community discussions

MikroTik App

lkiltz
just joined
Topic Author

Multiple IP subnets across multiple AP

Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:13 pm

Apologies - I did search and didn't find anything.

I segment my network according to purpose, using let's say x.x.1.x, x.x.20.x and x.x.50.x. I can manage the setup for this, with all the DHCP and routing.

My issue becomes trying to put these subnets across multiple devices physically separated, including AP. For instance, lets say the x.x.1.x network is the general use network. I set it up, and have a "HOME" SSID set up across 2 or 3 AP. But then I want to have an IoT network on x.x.50.x. How can I set up an "IOT" SSID across these same AP that will all use the 50 network bridge and DHCP pool?

What I have been doing is just extending the Home SSID on the general purpose network across all devices and just running the other SSID's on the core router where I can easily put all the IP subnets on their own bridge and keep it segregated. But I've come to a point where I need some of these other subnets at a distance that can't reliably be covered by 1 AP.

I guess I could set up DHCP on each AP with different parts of the address pool so I don't get duplicate allocations. But how do I set this up so that an IoT device on AP1 can talk to an IoT device on AP2? Is VLAN the only way to do it across single physical connection? I've kind of shied away from VLANs in the past because it adds extra complexity to things, but this may be my only hope.

I'm not looking for someone to set this up. I just can't wrap my head around how the setup will work. I'm not an expert (I do use the winbox rather than CLI), but I am reasonable versed in network theory. It's a hobby, not my profession.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Multiple IP subnets across multiple AP

Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:31 pm

Your approach to get help is a confusing mess........

1. network diagram showing devices involved how connected and what vlans are running on which ports
2. Set of requirements that do not mention the config at all.
identify users and groups of users
identify what they should be able to accomplish in terms of traffic allowed and traffic they shouldnt be allowed to accomplish.

viewtopic.php?p=908118