Community discussions

MikroTik App

dvh
just joined
Topic Author

hAP AC2 cannot use IP CLOUD DDNS

Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:13 am

I have recently acquired 2 "used like new" Mikrotik hAP AC2 routers, one for each of two locations that I service. I bought these as backup/replacement units for existing hEXRB750gr3 units. I have enjoyed leaning and putting these routers into action, and I am pleased with their performance and features, including wireguard which I use for a P2P encrypted link.

I have retired the original hEX units (retained for backup) in favor of the hAP based on their ability to provide some wireless service in the event that other components in my network go down. for the original two hEX units, I was able to setup IP CLOUD DDNS without issue. with the hAP units, one was successful in setting up IP CLOUD DDNS, but the other refuses to do so. I have used tracert to determine that both can complete routing to the Mikrotik servers. I have largely equivalent firewalls in place for both, so I don't believe I am blocking any potential server return.

I have searched this forum for solutions, but none appear to address my case. I am wondering if the "used like new" status (which means really "used") might have something to do with this. is it possible that my problem hAP was used previously to set up IP CLOUD DDNS, and somehow licensing or duplicate DDNS entries are in play?

I am completely open to any suggestions, and will report any progress. please help if you are willing.

-dvh

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP AC2 cannot use IP CLOUD DDNS

Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:56 am

IP Cloud DNS DDNS name normally is based on the SN in /system/routerboard. Serial Number should be unique.

dvh
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. good information. maybe I was not clear in describing my issue or maybe I am just missing the point of your answer. i am not worried about 2 distinct units receiving the same DDNS name. i am thinking that my pre-owned routerboard may have been registered into IP CLOUD DDNS by a previous owner, perhaps interfering with my ability to now register the same unit. that said, I don't know how the IP CLOUD would detect "ownership", so it should still work, I would think. are you suggesting that I could somehow change the SN in my routerboard to register a "different" unit?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:57 pm

pre-owned routerboard may have been registered into IP CLOUD DDNS by a previous owner
That is no problem. There is no owner involved in the registration. Only the serial number and the public IP address. The latter is supposed to change something like every hour anyway. (My ISP changes my IP every 16 hours). Having twice the same SN could generate a problem (same key in database) with the DDNS registration.

Maybe check the SN in RouterOS with the one printed on the box. More intrusive firmware update software than Netinstall could have changed the SN file. (Just a wild guess, as a misconfig in your NAT setup is more likely to happen.)

If the IP Cloud DDNS fails completely, then "no-ip.com" might be an alternative. (There are scripts that do the needed address refresh, like: http://www.ubuntuserver.it/dynamic-dns- ... router-v2/. The free no-ip.com hostname requires a monthly refresh, or a payed no-ip DDNS service) This no-ip DDNS can be used as second path , if the <SN>sn.mynetname.net DDNS fails to resolve. Only happened once for a few days in 2022.

dvh
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:21 pm

i expected that the pre-ownership was not a problem. thanks for confirming. the units I purchased were "used like-new" and did not come in original packaging, so I can't match serial numbers. using winbox, I can see the serial numbers of both units, and these look to be typical.

i already pay for a no-ip account, and in fact I use this in addition to the Mikrotik DDNS because I can create a usable URL instead of the cryptic one provided by Mikrotik. my no-ip URL is defined to point to the Mikrotik CNAME, so it updates automatically. this is not so, of course, for the unit which does not allow Mikrotik registration, so I want/need to get that working. i really want to avoid custom scripting for a function that should be provided by the purchased Mikrotik unit.

thank you for all suggestions

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:28 am

If you enable IP cloud... It will show you the netname and serial number.

It fails at this step?
It doesn't show the serial number.sn.mynetname.net?
Does it show the public IP correctly?

If you open terminal and enter
/IP cloud print

Does it show the public IP and netname?

dvh
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:04 pm

using Winbox, when I click the IP CLOUD "DDNS Enabled" box and then apply, the bottom line status shows "updating..." forever. I do not see netname or serial number. clicking "Force Update" changes nothing. yes, I think it fails at this step. neither the public address nor the DNS Name are filled.

using terminal, no, neither the public IP nor the netname are shown
> ip cloud print
ddns-enabled: yes
ddns-update-interval: none
update-time: no

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:16 pm

using Winbox, when I click the IP CLOUD "DDNS Enabled" box and then apply, the bottom line status shows "updating..." forever. I do not see netname or serial number. clicking "Force Update" changes nothing. yes, I think it fails at this step. neither the public address nor the DNS Name are filled.

using terminal, no, neither the public IP nor the netname are shown
> ip cloud print
ddns-enabled: yes
ddns-update-interval: none
update-time: no
Send a sup file to support.

dvh
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:54 pm

thank you, but I don't know what a "sup file" is, nor how to send such to "support". I am investigating

dvh
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:57 pm

found instructions, working this now

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:11 pm

Already tried a netinstall to make sure the device is clean?

dvh
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:11 pm

did not try netinstall. device is now 2000 miles away from me and cannot be taken out of service.

dvh
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:41 am

update...after submitting a request to support, I thought it might be helpful to post what I learned...

The device you have purchased is not obtained in a legitimate manner, it is therefore blocked from working with cloud. I suggest you contact the seller for a refund or other compensation. If that is not possible, you can keep using the device without cloud functionality.

so I asked a followup question about purchasing used...

To clarify, buying a used device is fine, and not the cause of the issue. The issue is no fault of the buyer - you.

In this case, the device you have should have been destroyed/utilized by the original seller, and as such, it is banned in our database. It could be just a mix-up from the seller or a malicious employee, both are possible options.

It only impacts cloud functionality. You can still use it. That being said, perhaps the seller can help you in this case with a refund or a different device, so it might worthwhile to try and contact them.

We are investigating why this happened and will do some more checks to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Buying from Marketplaces like Amazon is fine, in general, though we recommend buying directly from our distributors as in many cases you can get better support or warranty service through them. Although that can also depend on where you are located. It is just a preference though and either option is fine.

-dvh

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:00 am

That is crazy... Wondering why the device was banned.

Once I had a device where cloud backup did not work (did not try ddns, though). Contacted the support and they fixed it.
It was a device I received at MUM Germany 2016... Possibly it was not in the databases as it did not go the usual distribution ways.

dvh
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:31 am

strange for sure. but what do I know. I am wondering if I paid them for a new license, would they authorize in place? or maybe they know something I don't, like the device was in some way defective?

-dvh

dvh
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:59 pm

no dice on the license. support says this is not a license issue. so for now, I am running a DDNS client on a server behind my router. not optimal, but does work

-dvh