Community discussions

MikroTik App

RouTerMotion
just joined
Topic Author

Blacklisted Device by Mikrotik ?

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:19 pm

Hello,

i had problem with the IP cloud dns to update in my mikrotik and so I decided to write to the mikrotik customer suppot:

no after I spoke to the support they tell me :

"Hello,

This device does not have legal origin for seller, please contact seller for refund.
Sergejs B."

i bought it from amazon in 2019 and the seller is no there anymore....

I just wonder what they mean by "legal origin"....

is the device just mark as stolen in mikrotik system and blacklisted from ip cloud or is this a copy/counterfeint?

Do I have to worry about the security of this device?

Are they allowed to block device like this?

I was able to update the device to the latest version

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Blacklisted Device by Mikrotik ?

Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:39 pm

the seller is no there anymore....
what a coincidence...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:09 pm

Do I have to worry about the security of this device?

Are they allowed to block device like this?

I was able to update the device to the latest version

If device is not legitimate for any reason (as answer by Sergejs implies), then I'd be worried about security of the device.

Cloud is Mikrotik's service and they can decide who can use it.

Downloading of ROS updates is anonymous service and it's possible to fetch them using any hardware, any OS and any http client as long as it speaks decently standard HTTP. Cloud is not anonymous due to nature of service ...

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:29 pm

is this a copy/counterfeint?

The only way I think someone who isn't a MikroTik EE could know that is for you to post high-res pictures of both sides of the PCB, then hope someone else here with the same device — which you should identify explicitly, rather than make us guess — is interested enough to open their copy and make some comparisons.

Even then, the clone might be good enough that visual inspection is insufficient. Plenty of companies have had their Chinese manufacturer rip the device off directly, having gotten the original design files from their customer.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:34 pm

MT should verify the chap paid for the device on amazon, and if so then unlock the block.
Do agree the user should netinstall the device just to make sure he can etc...

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:05 am

This is very interesting! I have never seen counterfeit Mikrotik device yet... so, what actually happened here, if it's completely different HW inside that runs ROS? Or perhaps hacked license on official Mikrotik board? It all seems like a lot of effort someone would go to actually make a compatible hardware and possibly still have some margin to make money on all of this...?
And what device we are even talking about? AP? Router? Something else? Photos of internals would be great.