MikroTik App

shailparmar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Feature Request - System Voltage and Temperature Graphing in Resource

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:34 pm

Hello
We are a small wisp located in rural India. most of our sites are solar power operated .
we want to monitor battery charging & discharging cycle . it would be great if there is a option of System Voltage And Temperature
graph available in resource graphing menu.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature Request - System Voltage and Temperature Graphing in Resource

Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:06 pm

Use snmp and record it centrally in dude or other network management system.

shailparmar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:53 am

Use snmp and record it centrally in dude or other network management system.

I've tried with these oids in cacti

None of them are working

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:37 am

Maybe you should use other oids. Or your equipment is missing the sensors...

javajox

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:58 pm

I would like to know where is it possible to find .mib files for mikrotik products ?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:19 pm

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:29 pm

it would be great if there is a option of System Voltage And Temperature
graph available in resource graphing menu.
I think it is a good suggestion. It should be easy as the facility to graph other values is already there.
It would be great when you could graph any OID available from the local SNMP service, and maybe
also the output of a predefined script. (although it is now possible to have the output of a script as
an SNMP OID, so that would be kind of redundant)
Other useful things you could graph this way: WiFi signal strength and channel number (in the presence
of DFS), number of leases in DHCP server, etc.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:05 am

These things were already requested very long time ago. Looks like there is not so high demand for them.

wiltshra

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:37 am

I too would very much like to graph the Routerboard health (voltage and temperature), as I to deal with remote and extreme deployments.
Wiki Manual (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Tools/Graphing) says:
The Graphing tool can display graphics for:
• Routerboard health (voltage and temperature)
But then offers no procedure how…

Manual: https://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/3 ... aphing.pdf says:
Health Graphing
Home menu level: /tool graphing health
Description
This menu provides information about RouterBoard's 'health' - voltage and temperature.
For this option, you have to install the routerboard package: <blank> - WTF?

Nothing in the forum except people asking for it…

So the ability graph the Routerboard health (voltage and temperature) simply isn’t available… despite the documentation hinting it may be….is that correct?

Seems like a brain-dead simple and obvious diagnostics to include on a device… c’mon MikroTik, it can’t be that hard to implement?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Correct. It is not available within the internal graphing feature. But you can use dude or other similar software to graph whatever value from whatever device if it is available via SNMP.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Maybe the internal graphing could be extended with a "SNMP rules" tab where you can add SNMP oids that
return a numerical value? That should not be too hard, the other graphed entities are probably retrieved
via SNMP as well.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:16 pm

I think I was asking for similar thing some years ago. Then I resigned, the dude does it well as long as the connection is up. When device is out of connection with the dude, there are no data, although right this data could be extremely useful in some cases.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:20 pm

It can be done in dude and all other monitoring packages, but as the router has local graphing as well it would
be nice when you could graph arbitrary things (besides the 3 resource graphs there are now), using an SNMP
oid which retrieves the values from localhost. Of course it should not feature-creep into a network monitoring
system, it is just for standalone graphing on the router itself (which it can already do).

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:29 pm

That would be something I asked mikrotik to do some years ago. Obviously not so many people wanted the same thing ...

SteveWrightNZ
just joined

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:06 am

I searched the forum for this feature request before posting, and found this thread.

The feature request is somewhat moot, considering that a 24V battery/solar system on equalise will over-voltage and continuously reset-cycle a RB493G. I had to build a simple regulator to drop a few volts off the 493G, making the onboard voltage monitoring unusable. However, the PowerBox Pro doesn't seem to do this.

A properly-designed remote-area system of any type needs to 100% stable 8-30VDC at least, to dodge little or large battery and solar problems. After that, a proper battery monitoring system would seem trivial.

jspool

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:26 am

They made the mUPS and its not even networked. Its purpose is power delivery and It should have SNMP and voltage monitoring and scripts as well.

Their quote "In RouterOS it is possible to detect when running on battery power by monitoring the input voltage with scripting, since the voltage will change without a RouterOS reboot."
Its like saying that the trailer they built doesn't need brakes because the car pulling it has brakes. I still want trailer brakes on my trailer.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:55 am

They made the mUPS and its not even networked. Its purpose is power delivery and It should have SNMP and voltage monitoring and scripts as well.
It is just a passive electronic device, it does not have a processor or networking. Its purpose is power delivery.
Their quote "In RouterOS it is possible to detect when running on battery power by monitoring the input voltage with scripting, since the voltage will change without a RouterOS reboot."
Its like saying that the trailer they built doesn't need brakes because the car pulling it has brakes. I still want trailer brakes on my trailer.
It is like a trailer with overrun brake. It will brake the trailer when you brake the vehicle without having a separate pneumatic or hydraulic connection from the car to the trailer that would make both the construction and the use of the trailer much more costly.

jspool

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:04 am

Its a good first step. Personally I don't see much use for passive devices in this day and age when there are so many chips available for very little cost.
Many useful features could be implemented: Periodic Self test. Keeping track of power anomalies. Runtime alerts etc. I think its cool that they ventured into this area and I hope they keep making strides in product development that addresses needs within their customer base.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Personally I don't see much use for passive devices in this day and age when there are so many chips available for very little cost.
Note that it is not only monetary cost that matters, but a processor would also use power. Adding a processor that allows networking and
a convenient user interface would quickly double the power usage in the case where mUPS is used to power a small MikroTik router!
(which is based on similar processors)
So that feature would halve the runtime of a given battery.

Of course there are processors that use a lot less power, but they usually do not offer networking. One could consider using a microcontroller
with USB interface (that presents itself as a USB serial device) and plug that into the USB port of the router, monitoring it via some simple
serial commands that are issued from RouterOS via scripting or some native code. But that would restrict the usage to routers that have
an USB port and nothing yet plugged into it.

qwerty77
just joined

Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:57 pm

Please, please, please, consider providing power graphing as a built it feature. Routers due to their reliability are used in different odd installations been powered far from grid. Running a dude server specificaly to get voltage is unreasonable, while battery performance, needed to be estimated in many scenarios. I think this feature is not hard to implement on supported hardware.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:00 pm

Use The Dude, it's free and doesn't need to be installed locally on the panel-powered site.
I control all my power plants from a single session of The Dude without any problems.
Does not consume solar energy locally and does not shorten the life of the internal NAND/flash.
Have you thought about this?
You throw away the RouterBOARD after a few months if the write cycles of the internal NAND/flash run out.