Community discussions

MikroTik App

doychevg
just joined
Topic Author

Not getting the needed wifi speed over Mikrotik

Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:26 am

Hello all,

Today I've installed a new topology in my home with 300mb download speed. The topology is the following:

ISP Router -> Mikrotik Router Ac3 (RBD53iG-5HacD2HnD) -> Mikrotik Router Ac2 (Used as an CAP aka AP)

So the problem is the following one and it is only for WiFi connections, not cable one:
When I go to the WiFi SSID on the ISP router I get it ~260-280mbps but when I go to my local SSID, the Mikrotik one I get barely 100 mbps, in the most cases is ~80-90 mbps. The Ac3 & Ac2 wifi connection are configured through CAPsMAN..

Configuration:
/caps-man channel
add band=2ghz-g/n control-channel-width=20mhz frequency=2462 name=\
    ch_router_11
add band=5ghz-onlyac control-channel-width=20mhz frequency=5260 name=\
    ch_router_52
add band=2ghz-g/n control-channel-width=20mhz frequency=2442 name=ch_ap_7
add band=5ghz-onlyac control-channel-width=20mhz frequency=5785 name=\
    ch_ap_157
/interface bridge
add name=bridge
/interface wireless
# managed by CAPsMAN
# channel: 2462/20-eC/gn(27dBm), SSID: KAP-WiFi, local forwarding
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] disabled=no mode=ap-bridge ssid=KAP-WiFi
# managed by CAPsMAN
# channel: 5260/20-Ceee/ac/DP(17dBm), SSID: KAP-WiFi, local forwarding
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac disabled=no mode=ap-bridge \
    ssid=KAP-WiFi
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] name="ether1 [WAN]"
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] name="ether2 [LAN]"
/caps-man datapath
add bridge=bridge local-forwarding=yes name=data_config
/caps-man rates
add basic=12Mbps name="GN only - no B rates" supported=\
    12Mbps,18Mbps,24Mbps,36Mbps,48Mbps,54Mbps
Ether1 is the cable between the ISP router & the Mikrotik
Ether2 is the LAN

FastTrack is enabled on the Ac3
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=forward connection-state=established,related
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward connection-state=\
    established,related
add action=drop chain=input comment="drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=accept chain=forward comment=\
    "accept established, related, untracked" connection-state=\
    established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=forward comment="drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" \
    in-interface-list=WAN
When on cable the speed is aquired but on WiFi I cannot. Something is wrong in the Mikrotik for me but I cannot see what. Any help will be much appreciated.

--
Happy Holidays!

BrateloSlava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Not getting the needed wifi speed over Mikrotik

Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:56 pm

Try reading this section. The question about the speed of the wireless network is on every page.

doychevg
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:53 pm

Well you can provide some information if you are aware instead of scrolling across 10k+ posts and I don't even know which post is equal to my problem, so I guess your comment not helping me a lot.

Thanks anyway.

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:36 pm

Are you connected to the 5 Ghz wifi on the Mikrotik?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:44 pm

Configuration is one thing , the operational status is another.
The information in the configuration is not enough to predict what the operational status will be.

- for Wifi the detailed "Registration table" data is the current operational status. Interface rate must be checked !
Would be "866Mbps-20MHz/Ceee/2S/SGI" at best. (which will allow for 360Mbps real data in one direction with MT)
If not this max value for interface rate : check CCQ. (based on signal to noise ratio, interference, distortion, retransmissions (HW frames/Frames))
Still those wifi channels are shared with other transmittors such as AP's and clients (use "Snooper" to check)

- even the 100Mbps rings a bell, in the ethernet operation; (e.g.: ethernet port going to 100Mbps?)

doychevg
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:17 am

Configuration is one thing , the operational status is another.
The information in the configuration is not enough to predict what the operational status will be.

- for Wifi the detailed "Registration table" data is the current operational status. Interface rate must be checked !
Would be "866Mbps-20MHz/Ceee/2S/SGI" at best. (which will allow for 360Mbps real data in one direction with MT)
If not this max value for interface rate : check CCQ. (based on signal to noise ratio, interference, distortion, retransmissions (HW frames/Frames))
Still those wifi channels are shared with other transmittors such as AP's and clients (use "Snooper" to check)

- even the 100Mbps rings a bell, in the ethernet operation; (e.g.: ethernet port going to 100Mbps?)

Hello,

Since you are talking for Registration table, are you trying to push for using the common Wireless settings instead of Caspsman? If so, should I try learn using WifiWave2 ? Do you think it will be a better way for the ac3 & ac2 accordingly which is used as an AP?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:14 pm

Print on forum the results of

test code

/interface ethernet monitor [find where default-name=ether1] once

doychevg
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:11 pm

Print on forum the results of

test code

/interface ethernet monitor [find where default-name=ether1] once
[admin@XXXX] > /interface ethernet monitor [find where default-name=ether1] once

name: ether1
auto-negotiation: done
advertising: 10M-half,10M-full,100M-half,100M-full,1000M-half,
1000M-full
link-partner-advertising:

However, I think I've managed to fix the issue when removed the CAPSman config and went to Router v7 and installed Wifi Wave2 package..But another thing is that ac3 is supporting wifiwave2 but the ac2 which role is AP, I don't see how to make it work as an AP when ac3 is working with wifiwave2

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Not getting the needed wifi speed over Mikrotik  [SOLVED]

Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:14 pm

AFAIK there is limited CAPsMAN support for wifiwave2 driver so far, it starts in ROS v7.7 (CLI only).
The hAP ac2 has not enough RAM and not enough flash memory for the current wifiwave2 driver.

The wifiwave2 wifi performance is quite different (much better) than the standard MT wifi driver, but misses some MT extensions today (like 4-address modes, Snooper tool)
viewtopic.php?t=188338&hilit=wifiwave2

Mixing classic MT wifi and MT wifiwave2 is no problem, for wired access points in one bridged LAN.

doychevg
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:01 pm

Mixing classic MT wifi and MT wifiwave2 is no problem, for wired access points in one bridged LAN.
Firstly, I wanted to tell that I've removed Capsman from both devices and now after the ISP router there is Ac3 which use wifiwave2 and I've managed to get the 300 mbps on wifi and the signal is much better. And secondly, sorry for getting out of topic with the next question but what about the Ac2 in this case? In which mode should the ac2 be turned on? And what about the Wireless settings - is there any specific settings which should be set in order to get the same speed as from wifiwave2?

Thank you!

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:22 am

Same speed as wifiwave2 and other drivers?
I don't expect so. (see: viewtopic.php?t=165698#p912622 and some responses)

The MT classic driver has many other features, that are not in MT wifiwave2 or manufacturers standard drivers. But top speed (>400Mbps on 866Mbps interface rate) is almost impossible with the limited aggregation, combined with 802.11 channel access contention/timing between transmissions.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:26 pm

While the old driver provides a lot more features and tweaks, but...

It comes with connectivity problems. No MU-MIMO. And a habit of giving up in noisy environments.

Use the hAP AC2 as a router and the hAP AC3 with wifi Wave 2 Driver as A WAP ONLY.

Turn off the routing and WiFi on the ISP router, and set it to bridge mode if you can.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:39 pm

But... As I constantly point out... When you use Mikrotik for routing and accept that there is far better wireless out there... You can get MUCH BETTER WIRELESS PERFORMANCE FROM OTHER MANUFACTURERS.

Right now, I have one hAP AC2 as my router feeding a CRS326-24G. Into a Cambium XV2-2 (WiFi6 Access Point)

1Gig internet service.
27 connected clients across 5 SSID.
In an environment with 47 nearby WAPs competing for airtime.
Sonosnet wireless mesh with 10 devices on it.
I was watching YoutubeTV while this test was running. 2 wifi cameras were streaming. And my kid was playing some online game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doychevg
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:02 pm

While the old driver provides a lot more features and tweaks, but...

It comes with connectivity problems. No MU-MIMO. And a habit of giving up in noisy environments.

Use the hAP AC2 as a router and the hAP AC3 with wifi Wave 2 Driver as A WAP ONLY.

Turn off the routing and WiFi on the ISP router, and set it to bridge mode if you can.
Well, right now I am using ac3 as a router. Here is my question to your suggestion - how ac3 is going to be used as a WAP when the only option I got on RouterOS v7 is ac3 to be used as Home AP dual.
On the other hand, the ISP router is set to bridge mode already after calling them at the very beginning.
By the way, you've done some good configuration at your home!!
Finally, I had some thoughts of selling the ac stuff and buying ax series instead.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:54 pm

I was figuring you were going to "put the WAP where the clients are".

The router tends to be located "wherever the ISP can bring in the network."
I tend not to sit in the basement closet.

So my WIRELESS ACCESS POINT (WAP) is in my living room.

The hAP AC3 sitting in my living room was the second best WiFi I have gotten from Mikrotik. The Audience out performed it. But both of them had to be configured as "Simple WIFI BRIDGES" to my network.

AKA... WAPs.

They both performed far better with the WiFi Wave2 Driver than with the factory one.

However... the both get beat to death by Engenius, UniF--k, Netgear, Ruckus, or Cambium... sitting in the exact same spot with the almost the EXACT SAME configuration.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:55 pm

how ac3 is going to be used as a WAP when the only option I got on RouterOS v7 is ac3 to be used as Home AP dual.
Quick Set ..... only gives you less than 1% of the possibilities !!!
And it is searching for the corresponding set in there (eg. using hAP ac3 as access point is choosing "WISP AP and selecting bridge mode" !) and that is only half the config.

Stay away from Quick Set after the first initial attempt to set something in line with the requirements. You probably never get close enough. And .... never return to Quick Set ... if not starting from the default config.

The normal config via WinBox is simple enough ....make a bridged local LAN network including ethernet and WLAN or Wifiwave2 interfaces

In hAP ac3
- check that you have a bridge
- if default settings or quickset settings are still there, make sure the bridge is part of the LAN "interface list"
- set IP address or DHCP client on the bridge (disable or remove any DHCP server here , you will have only one DHCP server in the LAN)
- add all ethernet ports and all WLAN/wifi interfaces to the bridge (you may have to connect via 'WinBox MAC Neighbors discover' to the hAP ac3 till there is a valid IP address)

If hAP ac3 is connected to hAP ac2 via ethernet, and WLAN/wifi and local ethernet are also ports of the bridge , then you have one local network, with 2 bridges and multiple ethernet and wifi interfaces all to the same LAN.
One ethernet on the hAP ac2 will be off the bridge, and be the uplink connection to ISP. (that ethernet is part of the "WAN interface list", and probably has a DHCP client)

sniper113
just joined

Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:22 am

It is correct but for people who are starting mikrotik out of necessity" it is a very good tool