Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

OSPF - Locate designated router!

Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:49 pm

Can I ask how do I locate what router is assigned as designated router!
In my very limited knowledge I was able to locate devices assigned as "Dr.Other" or "Backup" with winbox but there is some devices which I don't have direct access and
would like to know if it's one them, Also I have mix of V6 + V7 ROS

On ChatGPT
In Mikrotik routers, you can use the "print ospf neighbor" command to locate the designated router (DR) in an OSPF network.

This command will display a list of OSPF neighbors on a particular interface, including the designated router (DR) and the backup designated router (BDR). The DR will be identified as "Full" in the "State" column, and the BDR will be identified as "BDR" in the "State" column.

Here is an example of the command and its output:

Copy code
[admin@Mikrotik] > print ospf neighbor
Flags: X - disabled, I - inactive, D - dynamic,
S - static, * - valid, > - selected

Neighbor ID Interface State Pri DeadTime
10.0.0.1 ether1 Full 1 33s
10.0.0.2 ether1 BDR 1 33s
In this example, the router with ID 10.0.0.1 is the DR, and the router with ID 10.0.0.2 is the BDR.

Another command that you can use is "print ospf interface" this command will show you the interfaces that are configured for OSPF and the role of each interface as DR, BDR or DROTHER.

You can also use the "print ospf interface detail" command to display detailed information about OSPF interfaces, including the interface's priority, cost, and state.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: OSPF - Locate designated router!

Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:38 am

/routing ospf neighbor print shows the IDs of the DR and BDR.