Community discussions

MikroTik App

fixlumer
just joined
Topic Author

MAKE WIRELESS TRAFIC GO THROUGH SECONDARY WAN

Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:03 pm

Hello everyone,

this is my first time posting here so I'm very sorry if I post this in the wrong section, I've one Mikrotik AC hap where all my network with both wired and WIFI devices are located, recently I've asked the company I work for if they could lend me their unused hap AC LTE router so that I can use it with LTE, they ofc said yes but they told me that I've to bring it back if it's needed, so I was planning to take some of the load off my main FTTC connection by making WIFI traffic route to the WAN connected to the LTE router so that if I need to take the router back to my company i can simply unplug it and revert changes made to the previous configuration.

I've checked online and found some ways to achieve this but they all talked about load balancing and wan failover, I don't need any of this, I just want my wireless traffic go through WAN2 instead of WAN1.

I'm very new to mikrotik so I'm sorry if my question may sound stupid or too simple. I'll give more details if needed including my configuration.

Thank you very much,
BR.
-Fixlumer

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MAKE WIRELESS TRAFIC GO THROUGH SECONDARY WAN

Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:59 pm

Yes. assuming you have two subnets A wired, B wifi.

Assuming you already have two default routes or manual routes created for the two WANs.

Then you need to add three things.

/routing table add fib name=useWAN2
/ip route
add dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gwy=ISP2 gateway IP table=useWAN2
/routing rule add src-address=subnet B action=lookup table=useWAN2

The nice thing about this setup is that if table WAN2 route cannot be found, the router will look at table main and find WAN1 and thus you wont have to change the config if you dont have the LTE device.................

The only caveat is if the wifi users also need to reach the other subnet and if so then you need......
another routing rule prior to the force rule into WAN2 for all wifi user traffic.

/routing rule dst-address=subnetA action=lookup-only-in-table table=main
/routing rule add src-address=subnet B action=lookup table=useWAN2