Community discussions

MikroTik App

jparis
just joined
Topic Author

IPTV with IGMPProxy stopping after 4:30 minutes

Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:47 pm

Hi,

I'm in Spain and my ISP is Vodafone NEBA. A couple of years ago I extract my PPPoE data, put the ISP Sercomm router in a drawer, and connected my HAP AC2 to the ONT with the PPPoE and VLAN configured and Internet service and Voice service are working right since then. I didn't need TV so I never used the STB they gave me.
Now I need the TV service so I reconnected the Sercomm router to test the STB and let it upgrade firmware and so and after a few restarts of both it worked OK and I can see my channel suscriptions and the extra apps on the STB like Netflix and HBO.
Then I send the Sercomm were it belongs (the drawer) and put the HAP AC2 back on track and configure the IPTV using all the available info I could find. But...
IPTV works, I can see all the channels in the STB and I can also see the free channels on VLC, but only 4:30 minutes aprox.; then the channel freezes and I have to change channels back and forth to see another 4:30 again... I tried a lot of settings in the IGMP Proxy without success, is a tedious process as I have to make a change, wait 4:30 to see if it freezes and start again...

I'm stuck with this now, need help. Any light?

I can publish my config or anything you could need if someboy could help me with this.

Thanks in advance

jparis
just joined
Topic Author

Re: IPTV with IGMPProxy stopping after 4:30 minutes

Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:06 am

Hi again!!!

Further investigation took me to the firewall, disabling the DROP rules allows the IPTV to work...

So the solution was the DROP traffic not coming from LAN rule, I added the IP range of the VLAN to the LAN list and it's working now.

What I can't understand is why it take 4:30 minutes to efectively drop the connection...

And I'm not happy with the solution, it seems weird to me add the internet VLAN of the ISP as part of the LAN...

Maybe someone has a better solution?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:12 pm

I'd have to see your actual firewall rules, but normally the rule chain starts with "accept already established connections", making most packets get handled only by this single rule, and the more detailed rules follow and deal with initial packets of new connection attempts.

So I can imagine the 4m30s may come from some existing connection to be replaced by a new one although it sounds strange. You could use /ip firewall connection print dst-address~"the.ip.of.the.tv" interval=1s to monitor what is going on.

eharput
just joined

Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:23 pm

Hi,

IPTV works in this way: when you select a channel, for the first few seconds/minutes depending on your provider the video is unicast, then after a pre-defined period the STB switches to multicast. Without permitting incoming UDP packets on your firewall, multicast traffic is blocked and your channel freezes.

You can capture packets using packet sniffer to determine which udp ports are used by multicast packets and then you can just allow those ports at your firewall.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:28 am

It sounds like they’re using an IGMP querier to pinch off “unwanted” streams and you’re either blocking those requests or preventing the replies from getting back out.

Open IGMP to your WAN port.