Community discussions

MikroTik App

1994rstefan
just joined
Topic Author

CAPs Acces Rule - SSID Regexp (documentation and functionality)

Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:16 pm

Hello,

TL;DR - The SSID Regexp is missing documentation and also does not work as expected because it seems like some basic RegExp grammar is missing/not working.

sadly I am unable to find any documentation usefull documentation for this option (/caps-man/access-list/add ssid-regexp=)
It took me an hour to find out some strange behaviour about it - for example character classes like '\d' or the '{m,n}' quantifier seems not to work! This is very annoying, especially because there are no debug options (or at least i was not able to find one) and you have always to use another device to always try connecting and disconnecting. Also it makes you to expand simple rules like '\d{4}' to something ugly like '[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]'.

It would be really nice if:
  • The option, or more precisely, the RegExp engine which is used, would be documented better
  • This is a feature: Extend the "Action: query radius" to include a matching group from the regex. (e.g.: we have the SSIDs in the form 'sublocation-[1-9].location-[1-9].customer', for the RADIUS server only the location is relevant, so it would be nice if we could just match '^sublocation-\d+.(location-\d+).customer' and then just send matching group 1 - maybe as Called-Station-Id - to the RADIUS server.
  • Yes, I know, this is also possible on the RADIUS server, but we do not really care about the wifi naming scheme which a potential customer is using, we care about the location in this example, and it would be alot cleaner to configure this on the local device and have general rules on the RADIUS server instead of changing the global/centralized matching scheme of the RADIUS server.