MikroTik App

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

System,e-mail,error Error sending e-mail <Prueba>: error connecting to server

Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:06 pm

Hello team!

We configured tool/email settings in many routers with the same gmail free account.
I can send test emails in all but one, exatly the same settings in all Mikrotiks
The error is the same that in the title of this post.

Here the settings:
/tool e-mail
set address=smtp.gmail.com from=address1.notif@gmail.com password=Passw0rd port=587 start-tls=yes user=address1.notif@gmail.com
There is not any output rule on this mikrotik, so this is not related to filter rules
The Mikrotik with this error has an old routerboard (6.34.2) and very old firmware (3.24). I know I have to update this. Do you think this is related to the versions?
I get answer from pings (mikrotik to smtp.gmail.com)

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Damián

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: System,e-mail,error Error sending e-mail <Prueba>: error connecting to server

Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:57 am

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: System,e-mail,error Error sending e-mail <Prueba>: error connecting to server

Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:41 am

That's too wide as an answer :lol:

Already quite some time ago Google changed the security settings for gmail.
You need to look into your account security settings and enable app password.
Then it will work again.

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:37 pm

Hello team!!

Thanks for your answers
@BartoszP, when I look for "gmail+problem", I cant get anyone with my problem
I just found one old topic which was not solved
@holvoetn, This is not the issue, the same account with the same settings is working in other 5 mikrotiks

Anyone?
Regards,
Damián

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:03 pm

What do you see in the log files ?
And yes, upgrading version might be another option...

However, don't disregard my suggestion to use app password if you are not using it yet.
I also had it (when Google changed it) working on one device and not working on another.
Until I changed towards app password, then both worked.
You do not have to believe me. Search the web. Plenty of examples describing this problem.
At the very least, it does not hurt to try.

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:14 pm

Thanks for your answer holvoetn,

I believe you, I needed to add an app password to make it work in other routers.
If I don't add an app password, the account won't work in any other Mikrotik, but I repeat: the same account with the same settings is working in another Mikrotiks.

Thanks in advance
Regards,
Damián

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:26 pm

Ah but you did not clarify you were already using app password.

Already tried a new app password for the failing device ?
I am not sure but I would logically think those app passwords are normally to be used only on one device.

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:44 pm

Sorry, I didnt clarify this because I thought that with other Mikrotiks working with the same settings were enough to know that the app password has been created. If I dont create an app password, the account will not work in any Mikrotik.
Anyway, my fault.
About using another account password, I did not try this yet, but I used another account in more Mikrotiks with the same app password, I dont think another app password will work.
I have something more to clarify, the Mikrotik with the problem is behind a Shopping firewall, maybe this firewall is blocking this, but get an answer from the shopping support will take long time :p
In the logs, the only line I get is exactly what the title of this post say.

Regards.
Damián

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:56 pm

Yes, update the firmware. As said before, Google has tightened up the security requirement for G-Mail. Likely the really old ROS version can't handle the new requirements. I have had a number of various devices (not Mikrotik) that have required updates to handle the newer requirements.

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:42 pm

Thanks for your answer k6ccc,
I will try!

Regards,
Damián

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:59 pm

yes.
Sad though, if you would've waited on more month, you could've send that routerboard to school as it turns 7 years.
What's new in 6.34.2 (2016-Feb-18 06:31):
The owner should be shot.