Community discussions

MikroTik App

dannyyy
just joined
Topic Author

KNOT dead after removing interface

Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:45 pm

Hi,

I bought a new KNOT and was able to connect through WiFi and ETH2. WiFi was only able to work in AP mode and I had my issues using it in station mode. The PPP client (LTE-M) was actually fully unable to work properly. I guess "usb2" is the right one because there is no "modem". But everything I tried ended in "modem is not responding". I'm using a SimHero LTE-M/NB-IoT compatible sim card, which is able to operate on other non Mikrotik devices.

While having this issue, I removed all the associations of the physical interfaces from the bridge-interface. After that I got few weird errors. After that I had no chance to get any connection to the device. WiFi is neither connecting to my home network nor offering the AP network. ETH1 / ETH2 are like dead, no DHCP and no communication possible even with self-assigned IP configuration.

I tried all different kinds of resetting. Read the official manual and all manuals from other Mikrotik products. I removed the sim card as well as Ethernet cables. Either the manuals are way outdated or none of them correspond to what my device does:
- Pressing RESET before powering, waiting 3s -> nothing (blue power has steady lighting, LTE blinking)
- Pressing RESET before powering, wait 5s -> nothing (blue starts blinking, LTE blinking)
- Pressing RESET before powering, wait 10s -> nothing (blue starts blinking after 5s and has steady light after 10s)
- Same behavior when pressing after powering the device.

As the last act, I tried to open the case, to look for a reset jumper. But no idea how to open without destroying the device. On the back face there are two knobs to press. But on that side the cover moves ~0.25mm. Seems like there are glue or hidden screws involved. Even using a flat head screw driver to slightly lift does not help. Must have additional mechanisms to hold the cover firmly in place.

May one of you have an idea what I could try. Otherwise, the device will be returned as defect for a replacement.
Actually, the KNOB model doesn't seem to be very popular. While googling, only sales offer pops up. Even the official manual is half-baked.

Thanks to every one in advance for any advice.
Cheers Danny