Community discussions

MikroTik App

echoblue
just joined
Topic Author

Help with picking the right hardware

Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:22 am

I'm starting to play around with MikroTik hardware and I'd say I'm a novice in terms of networking in general too.
I'm struggling to understand what WiFi hardware is suited for what use case and the MikroTik terminology is confusing me too.

I have an outside area on our property that I want to cover with WiFi. I have a high-point on the garage where I can mount a dish overlooking the property.
My question is which hardware would work best for this purpose, taking the following into consideration too:
  1. the furthest point from the high-point is about 30m
  2. the dish needs to provide coverage to rooms inside a building too (this is a retrofitting project, so internal cabling or a WiFi mesh inside the building aren't an option)
  3. the angle between the furthest apart points is roughly 60º
I considered getting an SXTG2HnD, but further reading revealed that this can't be used as an access point that devices can connect to directly.

Thank you in advance! :-)

ChristianMorris
just joined

Re: Help with picking the right hardware

Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:18 am

Based on the information provided, it sounds like you are looking for a wireless point-to-point (PtP) solution to provide WiFi coverage to an outdoor area and also provide coverage to rooms inside a building.

The MikroTik SXTG2HnD is a wireless device that can be used for PtP connections, but it cannot be used as a direct access point for clients to connect to. However, MikroTik offers other products that would work well for your application such as the Mikrotik RouterBOARD wAP 60G AP. This device is a wireless access point that can be used to provide WiFi coverage to an outdoor area and also provide coverage to rooms inside a building. It is a powerful device that operates on the 60GHz frequency band, providing high throughput and low latency. Additionally, it has a built-in dish antenna that can be used to direct the wireless signal to a specific location.

Another option to consider is the Mikrotik RouterBOARD cAP ac. This device is a dual-band wireless access point that operates on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands. It also has a built-in dish antenna that can be used to direct the wireless signal to a specific location.

Both of these options are powerful and suitable for your application. You should take into account the number of client devices and the type of data traffic expected to make a decision.

Anyway, it's always advisable to consult with a Mikrotik expert or network administrator to ensure the best performance and compatibility with your network. :)

echoblue
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Help with picking the right hardware

Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:50 pm

Hey Christian,

Thank you for the feedback. I continued my research after posting the initial question and came to a similar conclusion. I'm happy to see I am on the right track.
I appreciate your advice!

Cheers,
Marcus