Community discussions

MikroTik App

roswitina
Topic Author

Multiple WAN IPs - Questions?

Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:49 pm

I have been assigned a /29 network by my ISP. So I have 6 public IPs to tap via a router. I want to use at least 3 of these IP addresses to make services reachable from the Internet.
Is it practical to run e.g. 3 IP addresses (WAN) separately via a Mikrotik router to separate LANs (3 WAN <--> 3 LAN), or is it better to take separate routers for each public IP address? Each WAN IP should have its own LAN subnet.
Thanks.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Multiple WAN IPs - Questions?

Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:15 pm

There is no problem in having multiple src-nat rules on one router so outgoing traffic from each LAN subnet appears from a different public IP address.

The question of one or more routers is more down to other things such as:
Segregating managment, e.g. do the users of one LAN need management access to make changes only for their network.
How the /29 is delivered - is it a directly connected subnet, or routed over a point-to point link (e.g. PPPoE or a /30 or /31 subnet)

roswitina
Topic Author

Re: Multiple WAN IPs - Questions?

Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:32 pm

Thank you for the information.
I can configure the /29 network directly on the mikrotik. It is provided as a subnet. All IP addresses and LANs are used by me alone. I plan to test a little with it and expand my knowledge a little.
I plan to do a test with VRF. But I am not sure if I can realize my ideas with it.