MikroTik App

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

best pratice after lot of upgrades

Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:18 pm

Hello
I remember a pratice that I had in the past in the 5.x and 6.x releases.
After a lot of upgrades I was used to reset to factory default the device and then past back the configuration (previously exported compact).
This was a kind of refresh of the device. I did that on the POP routers or very important routers.

I read in the forum that is nice to netinstall a device after upgrade to v7 to avoid any issues from the previous configuration.
I have met the issue of upgrading from the v6 to v7, and in case of downgrade, I got back the v6 configuration.

The question is:
Since it is not possibile to netinstall a remote router in a remote location, it sufficent to reset to factory default (no default conf), and paste back the configuration, to refresh the unit?
I can reach in L2 the units in my pop, so that is easy for me to to reset and then mac-telnet.

What is your opinion?

Thank you

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: best pratice after lot of upgrades

Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:10 pm

In my view, as it is now, to be 100% sure you should netinstall.
But much better would be if MT fix their upgrade path especially for those remote installation cases.
It is not normal this needs to be done.
<getting off soap box...>

Remote netinstall became possible with containers, if you have a capable device in the same network ?

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:22 pm

Hello.
Unfortunately I dont always have a second box in the same L2 segment.
Do you think that a factory reset with no default could be a good action to refresh the device?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:31 pm

If you do not experience any problems, don't try to fix what is not broken.
Same applies for using netinstall.

If there is no need to upgrade, don't.
Especially not with devices which are not easy to be reached/recovered.
My view.

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:32 pm

Hello again.
The remote devices are L2 reachable, I did that on the v6 when some units become sluggish and unresponsive.
after a reset and paste of the conf, the devices were running perfect.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:03 pm

i normally do not try or install every release on production equipment unless a feature or a fix obliges me to do it, for example in RouterOS 6.x i was on 6.40.8 or 6.40.9 until new bridge vlan filter implementation was mature, then i jumped to 6.42.12, then 6.43.1, then 6.44.6, then 6.46.8, then 6.47.10 then 6.48.6, only jumped to v7.6 on some scenarios, another still on 6.48.6

a max of 9 versions in a 2 year window aprox in the worst case

In summary i am in a constant hunt for solid versions and only when i spot it then progresively migrate all the equipment to that steady version

keep in mind very few machines passed across all this versions because most of them where replaced for another more powerful or newer machine because of bandwidth requirements increased, some others had hardware failures because of lighting strikes or another external factors

when replacing/relocating a machine then i take the opportunity to do netinstall out of production environment

so i think is not a very frecuent situation, al least for me