Community discussions

MikroTik App

czeri
just joined
Topic Author

Radius - Unknown User (dhcp)

Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:06 pm

Hi, it is possible to configure unknown users in Radius users?

I would like to configure dhcp server with radius (mac authentication) but I need unknown users pool too.
If I set dhcp with use radius and user found in Users everything fine but if user not found I received refusal and client not received any ip.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

czeri
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Radius - Unknown User (dhcp)

Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:13 am

I attached logs when user is known and user is unknown:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XhabvhQonirtm
just joined

Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:39 am

Yes, it is possible to configure unknown users in the Radius server. In fact, many Radius servers have a feature called "default user" or "default pool" that is designed specifically for this purpose. This allows unknown users to be assigned a default set of attributes, such as an IP address, VLAN, or bandwidth limits. By configuring a default pool, you can ensure that all clients are able to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server, regardless of whether they are authenticated by the Radius server or not.

scav3nger
just joined

Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:20 pm

I'm trying to find solution for the same problem as described - authenticate unknown MAC addresses for DHCP to put them in different IP pool.

As XhabvhQonirtm described about "default user"... I can't find such feature in RouterOS's Radius/user manager.

Did you find solution for this problem?

marlab

Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:46 am

Yes, it is possible to configure unknown users in the Radius server. In fact, many Radius servers have a feature called "default user" or "default pool" that is designed specifically for this purpose.
Well, this topic is about Mikrotik User Manager, and not "many Radius servers", and I could not see such an option there yet. I guess some scripting would be required.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:39 pm

I don't think it can be solved with scripting.
What we need is a default user entry (that matches any username that is not explicitly in the table).
Or even better: the possibility to specify username as a regexp, so you can add entries that match e.g MAC addresses with some OUI or (with some effort) could match globally unique MAC addresses but not randomly assigned MAC addresses.
(the difference is in the 0x02 bit of the first octet)