Community discussions

MikroTik App

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

place-before when adding vlans to bridge?

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:53 am

I was wondering if in the CLI there is a way to add a new vlan and then be able to place it above another vlan..

Like if I have 10,30,40,50
 1   bridge                        10        sfp-sfpplus1                       
 2   bridge                        30        sfp-sfpplus1                       
 3   bridge                        40        sfp-sfpplus1                       
 4   bridge                        50        sfp-sfpplus1                       
 5   bridge                        60        sfp-sfpplus1                       
 6   bridge                        69        sfp-sfpplus1 
If I wanted to add vlan 20 there but I didnt want it to be at the bottom of the list.. is there a way to do this ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: place-before when adding vlans to bridge?

Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:47 pm

VLAN order on bridge is pure cosmetics, it doesn't affect functionality. So there is no "move" or "place-before" there. In firewall rule order matters as it affects the way firewall (as a whole) processes traffic.

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:19 pm

Ive just been struggling with making quick changes on the fly We do events mainly and Im slowly moving L2 to Mikrotik instead of Cisco. With Cisco I can go very quickly

default int gig1/0/1-2
swithcport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vl 10
Switchport mode trunk

and Bam I have a Trunk ports with Management vlan for Aps.
And for accèss ports..

default int gi1/0/1-2
Switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 30

and bam I have an access port with no tags on it and its ready to go.

So my needs are often, change this port to a "ticketing scanner port" -- is how the message is delivered to me lol

I was thinking of maybe just moving the needed tag from tagged to untagged and just setting the PVID, but that still leaves all the tags from the other vlans I needed on the APs. but ive read enough about removing unused tags. And to do this carefully.

But anyways I wrote that to say this.. When the vlans are in order it's a little easier when I need to use the "set" command. Lets say changing the tagging from vlan, 10,20,30,40 that would be represents as 0,1,2,3.. In the event that I have to add lets say VLAN 15 for example.. it then changes the order to 10,20,30,40,15..

Ive been almost just practicing rapidly changing ports to access ports in the CLI cause with WINBOX it would just take forever. We are using like 30 VLANs and in the moment when you have to act fast.. Mikrotik makes it tough.. seesh I would be happy if I could just do .. set 0-30 and then the command..

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:50 pm

I respect your wishes. But suggested change is not the best. IMO better solution would be adding sort capability to print command. It could work similarly to the filtering option (print where) ...

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:01 pm

I respect your wishes. But suggested change is not the best. IMO better solution would be adding sort capability to print command. It could work similarly to the filtering option (print where) ...
could you show me a quick example of the print where command ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:42 pm

/interface bridge vlan print detail where vlan-ids=30

The "detail" property above is optional, but the order of properties is important (in v6 at least), e.g. it's not possible to specify "detail" after "where" ...

My idea was to have sorting feature and would be called like this:

/interface bridge vlan print sort=bridge,vlan-ids

It would sort by two columns, first by bridge and second by vlan-ids ...

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:28 am

Let me bother you with another question... Lets say I just go ahead and untagged the port and just use the PVID of the vlan that I need.. pvid=40.. and its an end device.. not a switch or anything like that.. what's the problem there lol with ingress filter=yes what's the big deal ? I know so many people that always!! trunk there ports with native vlans.. what problems could I have if I just leave the tags there..

knowing me Ill end up taking the time to remove the tags but Im not looking forward to it.

Thanks .

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:28 pm

Technically you can configure each network infrastructure device as if it was the only device in your LAN. Just the way it suits you.

But my personal way of doing things is that network has to live as a whole. Which includes all network infrastructure devices (switches, routers and APs) and backhaul connections (connections dedicated to connecting those devices). Which then means that as soon as I start with VLANs somewhere, all backhaul connections have to be trunk (tagged only). Which means that management of all devices have to be done on VLAN interface (and I try to avoid devices which insist on "native VLAN" ... and if that's the answer, my question is WTF?). Etc.