Community discussions

MikroTik App

albertogwg
just joined
Topic Author

Access to internet modem behind router

Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:23 am

Hey guys, how are you?

I'm new here and I'm not an IT professional, so I'm going to ask for some help for newbies :) I have a question on the RB750GR3 HEX (5 ports) that I recently acquired.

I use the device for live broadcasts in my studio and I have 3 different internet connections that are on "fail-over" on the device. The connections come straight out of the provider's modem and are plugged in the mikrotik, like this:

My Internet Modem > Mikrotik > Broadcast computer(s)

However, I realized that when taking the device to work OUTSIDE my studio (to a client's location), I usually have no way to make a direct connection between the Mikrotik and the local internet modem, so it is often necessary to connect the Mikrotik to an intermediary router. With that, I simply cannot receive internet signal on it. It would be more or less as described below:

Client's Internet Modem > Local Router > Mikrotik > Broadcast computer(s)

The question: Is there any setting to configure the Mikrotik so It can understand that there is an intermediary router between it and the internet modem, and that it can work outside my studio?

Thanks a lot!

Sorry for the simplicity of the explanation. I don't know much about technical terms. I'm a videomaker and broadcast professional.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Access to internet modem behind router

Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:26 am

The only way I see this working is if you have on MT router at home setup as a VPN Wireguard server for example.
THe MT router behind the other router behind an internet modem should not be an issue being setup as a client.
This tunnel will give you access to the LAN at the home MT and also to the internet from the HOME internet.

THis is still not a guarantee as the Router needs to get an IP address on the intermedialy Routers LAN ( and this IP will be the WANIP of the MT router) and we have to assume that
the intermediary routers LAN has access to the local internet connection.

Not sure what you need for broadcasting. Otherwise I have no clue to get anywhere close to your requirements. Others may have better ideas!