Community discussions

MikroTik App

Tent1987
just joined
Topic Author

HAP Ax3 no-link

Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:54 pm

Hi,

So im very new to this. I have basic knowledge about networking.
I have a problem with my new MikroTik HAP AX3.
Currently i have a Netgear RAX40 router this router has a dedicated WAN port.
In that WAN port i have connected the UTP CAT6 cable to the Ziggo Gigabox modem, this modem is in bridged mode.
Let's call that cable: WAN Yellow Cable
If i connect my laptop with a WHITE UTP CAT6 cable to port01 from the Netgear RAX30 router i have internet.
So the Ziggo modem is giving me a IP address. (DHCP)

Now when i remove that WAN Yellow Cable en connect it to PORT01 in the MikroTik router it doesnt get a IP address.
Better yet it doesnt see any traffic (no RX/TX data) see screenshot interfaces.png.
So the same cable is being used, works on Netgear not on MikroTik.
I know that sometimes the modem needs a reboot before handing out the IP to a new device so i restarted the modem and after that i rebooted de MikroTik HAP AX3. (just in case)
On other interfaces it shows traffic e.g: ether2 is my laptop. see screenshot interfaces.png.

Now im not sure if i need to follow the next steps because there is no traffic on that interface/port... (i did it anyway no luck)

I have followed this official help page https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... figuration

01.) Just to be sure i have removed the default config with this command: /system reset-configuration no-defaults=yes skip-backup=yes
02.) After the reset and reboot, RouterOS does not have a config, great!
03.) Then i followed the rest of the steps:
Configuring IP Access with the commands on the help page.
DHCP Setup -> /ip dhcp-client add disabled=no interface=PORT01-Internet -> see screenshot interfaces.png
DNS config -> ISP provided settings and 8.8.8.8
04.) Still no traffic.
05.) When i do a cable test on PORT01-Internet it says no link. See screenshot NoLink.png
06.) The software version is: 7.6 (stable). see screenshot version.png.

I don't know what to do now, i hope somebody can help me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HAP Ax3 no-link

Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:34 pm

Can you please share your current configuration:
/export file=anynameyoulike

Make sure to remove any personal information.

Please also check with other cable.

Tent1987
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:08 pm

Hi @Erlinden,

Sorry there is no config, the cable works there (should be) nothing wrong with it because the cable works in the netgear router.
I think i need the link first before i can make a config.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:22 pm

Even with default config the port should get up (show "link ok" or whatever is the opposite of "no link") ... even if it can't pass traffic due to misconfiguration.

So please do share configuration (obviously there is some, or else screenshots you posted would be much more empty) for us to have a look.

Tent1987
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:33 pm

Even with default config the port should get up (show "link ok" or whatever is the opposite of "no link") ... even if it can't pass traffic due to misconfiguration.

So please do share configuration (obviously there is some, or else screenshots you posted would be much more empty) for us to have a look.
Sure i will do that tonight.
Some guy at work told me there is a way to re-install the preconfigured config (when u buy it), he was talking about a package.

Do you know where i can find it and a how to, to install it?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:40 pm

If you want to really wipe everythng on router, then netinstall the device. Beware that it's a very fragile process (a bit less so if using linux variant).

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:48 pm

Some guy at work told me there is a way to re-install the preconfigured config (when u buy it), he was talking about a package.
If you perform a reset (/system reset-configuration) it will perform a reset and apply a default configuration. Only if you thick the "No Default Configuration" there will be no configuration.

Tent1987
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:19 pm

So don't ask me why but i have RX/TX data on ether1. See "DefaultConfig_ether1_DataYes.png"
What i did:
01.) run /system reset-configuration no-defaults=no skip-backup=yes
02.) So the default config came back.
03.) Connected the same Yellow WAN cable to port01/ether1, in port02/ether2 i connected my laptop with the same WHITE cable.

So i have RX/TX data but no internet yet.

Do i need to config the ISP DHCP address or the local 192.168.88.0/24 info?

I have added my config altho its the default one. see ax3config.rsc
I have replaced the mac address and serial numbber with "#" in the file.

p.s. if DNS works i can configure NTP so the time will be 2023 instead of 1970 hahahhaaaha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tent1987
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:48 am

bump

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:41 am

If you want to really wipe everythng on router, then netinstall the device. Beware that it's a very fragile process (a bit less so if using linux variant).
Did you perform the netinstall succesfully, @Tent1987?

Tent1987
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:30 pm

Did you perform the netinstall succesfully, @Tent1987?
yes i performed it, also upgraded to 7.7 stable. I removed all configs (again) and followed the first time config.
No luck yet, after some reading i found out you can add the DHCP logs to the LOG.
I added it there are some messages but i dont know what it says. (see screenshot dhcp.png)

Also everytime i'm trying to configure a DHCP client on ether1 or ether2 the status keeps saying "searching".
I think this is the problem but i did not find a solution.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:14 pm

Can you connect the router (with the eth1 port connected) to test if the DHCP client is working?
If a pc is working on the connection, can you test with the pc's address cloned in the MikroTik on eth1?

And...never ever use Quickset after any manual adjustment to the config.

Tent1987
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:51 pm

Can you connect the router (with the eth1 port connected) to test if the DHCP client is working?
If a pc is working on the connection, can you test with the pc's address cloned in the MikroTik on eth1?

And...never ever use Quickset after any manual adjustment to the config.
Hey, i dont know what you mean with clone the ip address in the eth1.
I have done the following:

01.) YELLOW WAN cable in eth1 -> ziggo modem
02.) WHITE LAN cable in eth2 -> laptop
Results: no DHCP address on my laptop.

03.) Unplug YELLOW WAN cable. from eth1.
04.) Plug WHITE LAN cable in eth1 -> laptop.
Results: i get a DHCP ip address 192.168.88.254. No internet due to no WAN cable.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:10 pm

Oops, I missed the most important part...clone the MAC address of the pc (which can be found with the command ipconfig /all).

Just red your post again, what you are saying is that the pc gets an IP address on eth1, but not on eth2? Sounds like you bind your DHCP server to eth1 (which doesn't make sense as there should be a DHCP client. Can you please share your config in the current situation?

Might be worth to reset to default configuration (making eth1 the WAN port) and work from there. And in that situation you might need to clone the MAC address of your router to eth1. Does your pc get a public or private IP address if connected to the Ziggo modem?

Tent1987
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:50 pm

Topic can be closed. G*d d*mn stupid ziggo modem was not being placed correctly in bridge mode.
Let's just say it was a special snowflake. i have requested to put it in modem mode and then again in bridge mode.
Now i got DHCP.